IT Support experience, which qualifications?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by jameister, Jul 21, 2009.

1. jameister

jameister Bit Poster

Hi All

I wanted to ask advise on exams/qualifications. I work as an IT Support engineer for a fairly large corporate company in London, and started out doing this role as my first Job on the IT ladder. I completed the Cerco Certified Intensive training Course for 1 month which enabled me with the the basic knowledge and my way into the IT career.

As I have now been working in a support role for the last 2 and a half years I'm looking at completing some qualifications to back-up the role I'm doing, a sit seems I have the experience but not the certification to match?

So my question is what qualifications should I go for. A+, N+, MCDST or should I grab the bull by the horns and go straight into an MCSE?

Thanks in advance

Jamie

Certifications: CCSN, A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

It's probably best that you read around the forums a bit first before posting. Here's a relevant thread which should open your eyes. Link Pay particular attention to BosonMichael's posts.

As a general rule of thumb go A+, N+, MCDST -> onwards.

Take care not to become overcertified and only gain certifications relevant to your experience level.

:)

Hope this helps, welcome to the forums.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you have no business going for the MCSE unless you have 12-18 months experience in supporting a 250+ user multi server environment. This is what Microsoft recommend so having this cert without the required experience can go against you when looking for a job.

You should be looking at A+,N+ and MCDST and no further until you gain more experience.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. jameister

jameister Bit Poster

I have actually been supporting 300 staff for over 2 and a half years for a large corporate company that's why I was asking about the MCSE as well as the other's. Also money is an object with the cost of the exams so I don't want to do more than I have to.

If it's absolutely necessary then I will of course do the A+, N+ and MCDST but if I can skip these and do go straight for the MCSE then this would be better surely.

5. jameister

jameister Bit Poster

Thanks QS, I'll take a look, sorry If i jumped in here first but I have had a brief look around the site but it seems to get a bit confusing. I just want a straight forward answer.

6. Qs

A+, N+ and MCDST can all be used as pre-requisite's towards the final MCSE/A goal, so you wouldn't be losing anything.

It's helpful for you to do lower certs first to fill in the holes in your knowledge. If you already know your stuff then you'll be able to complete them faster.

Simple as.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Note - what GBL didn't make clear was that this is 12-18 months in a server administration role. This is NOT the same as supporting users. If you don't have that amount of time supporting a network, data centre or multi-site Active Directory installation, the MCSE is not for you. Start with the A+, N+ and MCDST.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

What type of support have you been doing mate?

The only reason the above replies might have been a bit disencouraging is because there have been a fair amount of posts which go along the lines of 'I AM NEW TO IT, HOW DO I TAKE MY MCSE?'. As people have stated, MCSE isn't for the inexperienced..

Your original post kinda hinted that you were one of the same types of posters but only because you weren't specific enough :)

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  9. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

"An MCSE candidate should have one to two years of experience in designing, installing, configuring, and troubleshooting network systems."-microsoft.

If that's you, go for it.
    I suspect that after only 2 and a half years you're not at that stage.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

If your job was designing, implementing & administering the companies network & server infrastructure then great, an MCSE would certainly match up to the experience you already have. If your job was supporting users at a desktop level etc.. then an MCSE would not be recommended. Also some of the exams on the MSCE can be extremely difficult without prior hands on experience. (the 70-291 being a good example of this).

edit: Guess I was too slow with my reply, others have said much the same as me already now. It's good advice though Jameeister.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  11. jameister

jameister Bit Poster

12. jameister

jameister Bit Poster

great thanks for your advise as well, that's all I wanted to know, so the general answer is the MCSE maybe a bit too advanced level at this stage.

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You guys make me proud. :D

Good advice given above, Jamie. I'd recommend the A+, Network+, MCDST, and MCTS Vista certifications. With your desktop experience level, you should be able to knock them out in fairly short order.

Remember, certifications aren't designed to show employers what you WANT to be doing... certifications are designed to show employers what you can ALREADY do. Thus, the certifications I've mentioned above should be relevant to what you are currently doing. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. jameister

jameister Bit Poster

Yep it's really good advise, thanks for clarifying. Maybe there is a Windows 7 certification rather then Vista? but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, thanks again 8)

15. Qs

The Windows 7 exam hasn't been publically released yet.

Even so, it looks better to have some progression in your certs.

XP (MCDST), Vista (MCITP/MCTS) THEN 7

Rather than a jump from XP to 7.

Don't you think? :)

Qs

16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There is... but when most companies use Windows XP, which exams do you think you ought to start with? ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I also think you'll have trouble getting a book on it as well ;)
    A+,N+ and MCDST are a great way to start your cert's :)

18. jameister

jameister Bit Poster

fair point ;)

19. jameister

jameister Bit Poster

yes your absolutely right, XP route 1st 8)

20. jameister

jameister Bit Poster

Is it worth buying all the books for the study of A+ I mean I had a look at some of the test questions and they look fairly easy. It has been suggested the book compTIA A+ all in one exam guide by Mike Meyers and PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles.