IT Support Assistant job interview advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by convan, May 24, 2009.

1. convan

convan New Member

Hello,

I have applied for an IT support assistant position and have an interview next week. My experience with IT is not in this field (IT Support) and so I would like some advice and information regarding the interview.

There is going to be a short practical test including the interview.

I would like to know what sort of technical questions I am likely to be asked and what the practical test might involve from your past experiences, so that I may prepare sufficiently.

Any help and advice you may give me is much appreciated.

Thanks,:blink

Mr C.

2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi, welcome to the forum. Why not introduce yourself here: http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/forum21.html

To answer this I'll need a bit more info. What is your current role? And what is the role you are applying for?

Do you have any IT NVQ's or certificates?

James

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. convan

convan New Member

hi, thanks for replying. well my current position is in radiograpphy and havent been working in the IT industry directly for more than 3 years. I have applied for position as IT support assitant, support in windows, office and using active directory aswell as trouble shooting pc hardeware and networking was in the job disrciption. I can do all the requirements to of the job role except Active directory i know what it is and have played about with it but quite a while back. i think i might have stated in my application that i can use it in a manner more than i can:biggrin. the only qualification i have at the moment is A level in computer studies. the rest i have picked up during work placements and through personnel intrest in IT and when i have not been working in IT i have tried to keep up with the changes in technology. at the moment i am selfstudying to get my MCDST qualification and really want to get back into IT. the interview will consist of a small tech test which is making me a bit nervous :eek: and to top it all my laptops GPU packet up the day i got the confirmation letter for the interview.
    any help would be appreciated
    thanks

Mr C

4. Necroscope

Necroscope Nibble Poster

The last IT Support Assistant job interview I had, there was 3 tech questions, 1) what would you do if someone phoned the helpdesk and said that last email they got was over a month ago, 2) someone phones and says there monitor wont come on but there are lights on the desktop, cant remeber what the other one was. Also had a database test using excel, taking data and creating a new database and then creating a graph.

Certifications: A+, N+,70-210, 70-270,MCDST,ECDL,CSCS
    WIP: ITIL v3 Foundation (sent me to sleep 3 times don't think made it past page 15), 70-680
  5. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Has anyone actually sent you an email that you know off? (are you expecting a email?)

What did you put lol.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3