IT in banking/finance

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by gentquality, Jul 25, 2012.

1. gentquality

gentquality Bit Poster

Hi guys,

I'm new to the board, I'm currently a Financial advisor at a major bank, I have been in the industry for 7 years now. I'm in the US, and I'm looking to make a career move into IT in banking/finance sector.

Has anyone ever made a move like this? If so, can someone give me some guidance on what type of certifications I should study for?

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Personally I would say go for the A+ and Network+, to gain the basics added to that those certs are ISO and ANSI which I believe is big in the US (hence why Comptia introduced the renewal program), to assist you getting your foot in the door.

After that there's the Microsoft track, this covers desktops, servers and network infrastructure (DNS, DHCP, etc), they also have a SQL track, programming track, etc. However do not to be confused with networking (maintaining switches, routers, etc from the likes of Cisco, Juniper, etc) with network infrastructure (DNS, DHCP, etc).

There's the Certified Information Technology Professional (CITP) program in the US, but geared up towards Certified Public Accountants (not sure if you fall within that category.

I would say get in contact with your organisations IT department and network with them. See what technologies they use, eg they may use MS SQL or they may use oracle, etc...

But lastly, decide what area of IT you want to get into, eg support, Database admin, development (eg web), etc...

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
    gentquality likes this.
  3. gentquality

gentquality Bit Poster

I'm looking to become a database admin. I've done a little research and CompTIA A+ and Network + are the basics if I remember correctly.

What I do right now is a little different than a CPA. I manage portfolios for my clients (growth, income, and etc). So would you say start with A+ and network+ then move my way up from there?

4. Kitkatninja

Yes to get the basics on any IT support job, but then instead of working towards the normal server/network specific certifications, look into DB courses/certifications. I won't sit here and say if you do the MCITP: Database Administrator you'll walk into the DBA role, cause true to told, these higher certifications walk hand in hand with experience. Instead look into the following entry level DB programs:

Oracle Certified Associate
    MTA: Database Administration Fundamentals followed by the MCTS Microsoft SQL Server 2008 program.

I will also say that when I live in the US and on several US specific forums, having a degree is a big plus out there (if not already a requirement).

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  5. gentquality

gentquality Bit Poster

Hey,

thank you for the comprehensive response, really helpful. I do have a degree but the problem is, it's not related to IT. I have an economics degree and I'm a certified financial planner (which also has nothing to do with IT).

I'm one of those late bloomers that finally figured out what I want in life, I'm 29 years old. I'll start studying for A+ first, then network+, then oracle. I was researching the forums and it looks like Mike Meyers has the best books for these courses?

6. Kitkatninja

I wouldn't worry too much about that, half the time they just want to see "degree".

I wouldn't say that's a late bloomer, I've known more mature people changing their careers to IT :)

7. gentquality

gentquality Bit Poster

Ok, that's encouraging to hear. I will get on my A+ and Network+ right away.

8. gentquality

gentquality Bit Poster

Hey which books would you recommend? Ive looked at the a+ guide in this forum and it looks like it was last updated in 2009?

9. Kitkatninja

There's the Mike Meyer's one, the latest version will be released at the end of Aug.

10. gentquality

gentquality Bit Poster

Do you suggest I wait? or start studying the current material?