IT certs gained, no experience, add more skills or consolidate?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by jo74, Sep 2, 2009.

1. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

I've gained the A+, Network+ and Security+ but have yet to find that elusive first IT job :(

Should I add more skills or consolidate what I've already got? I have frequently reviewed materials for the certs I already possess. But I'm still a bit concerned about my practical skills, especially in Networking.

I'm pondering 70-270, largely because together with an OU course I've passed (M150), it'll gain me extra credit with the OU although would it be useful without experience?

As for the MCDST, I flogged all my books for it :oops:, rather hastily, though I still have some CBTs.

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You can certainly add more skills... but I wouldn't recommend that you get any more certifications except for the MCDST. However, I'd recommend that you put all that time that you would be studying and invest that in finding that IT job. No, it's not fun, but you gotta put in the effort. Make getting the job your full-time job until you get it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. anthony micallef

anthony micallef Bit Poster

I agree put all your efforts in to looking for a job. My wife is an HR Manager and she's always said to me that for every 10 applications you'll only get 1 interview so you need to persevere.

4. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

At the moment the ratios probably worse than that to be honest. With fewer jobs and more people looking its a real buyers market.

As BM says you've really got to put everything you have into the job search, and make sure everything you send out is of best quality possible. Your CV is the most valuable thing you currently own so make sure its a good one.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10