IT at School. 6wks Off?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mattprince, Mar 2, 2009.

1. mattprince

mattprince Bit Poster

Hi,

Just wondering if any member on here works at a school doing the IT?

If so do you get the whole 6 weeks off when the kids are off?

If not what do you get off?

Matt

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+, N+ and MCDST
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

crap pay?

There are one or two who do. Cant remember who specifically though - Bluerinse and wagnerk possibly? I get the impression that the IT at least doesnt really stop over the summer. After all, thats the best time for them to do any of the work they need to do. Sure someone will come along to confirm though.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I applied for an IT Network Manager job at a school. It was normal 4 weeks (ish) holiday and no time off during term time.

I think others on here will tell you the same - wagnerk, Jiser, simongrahamuk, Grumbledook etc.

You cna also check out Edugeek for schools info.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I would imagine that the Summer would be the busiest time as a Network/Sys Admin at a school - you'd pretty much have to do all your project work when there were no kids around to f*** things up - the rest of the time would be firefighting :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Used to but not now.

Depends on your contract really. Most of the time you will get the usual 4 weeks holiday and bank hols. I was only allowed to take my hols during the school holidays, but even that has changed now. I'm allowed to take some time off during term time, but I tend not to as Mrs AJ works at a school and isn't allowed time off during term time.

edit: exactly what zeb said :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

It would depend on the contract you are offered.

If you are classed as Term Time only then you would get all of the school holidays off, but your salary would be adjusted accordingly. Some people work Termtime + 2weeks, meaning that they are expected to work two weeks of the school holidays. Again your slary is adjusted accordingly.

Most People That work in IT in schools these days though (depending on the level you are at) tend to work Full Time, meaning that you only get 20 odd days off per year. Some schools may let you take this holiday entitlement at any time, where as others may expect you to take it during school holidays.

As has already been said though, school holidays are the best time to get big projects done such as upgrades and patches.

Hope this helps. 8)

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

That's the busiest time for us, 6 weeks to do all the projects and repair everything (that we haven't been able to during the academic year) that they broke...

4 weeks, plus bank hols, is the standard time off.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

When I worked at a 6th form college the summer worked much like this

Order new PC's for the new academic year
    create new ghost images for the ordered machines
    deploy the updated images to every pc not in use over the summer (was 700 machines the second year)
    impliment big changes such as managed learning environment, change in OS, chnage in server OS etc
    Create new computing centre
    Create training packages for staff on any new software
    do as much server maintainance as possible
    as well as anyother ongoing projects at the time.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Used to be 24 days holiday here now it has gone up a few more, 28 maybe as i have been in the position for over 6 years. I find that network managers tend to get the full time contracts and they try to palm you off with term time technicians. So while all the hard work needs doing, you are on your own.

Finally got my main technician on full time and we are not allowed to replace our other technician who left because he was mentally unable to answer a telephone without complaining or being cajoled into it.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  10. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

I'm a tech in a school, we get 4 weeks to be taken in the school holidays. Having said that last year i got 5 weeks off in the summer as my boss had nothing for us to do. and got the oct and feb hol's off too. But i think that is more down to my boss not wanting to come in.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  11. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Ive always been term time only. This means I do come in on staff training days and days which I am needed if I am. I was sole technician at my previous two schools and only part time so it was abit different.

But yeh same as before I get all 3 half terms each a week, xmas two weeks, easter two weeks and 6 week for summer.

However you loose out on pay, my current job though was only advertised as term time tho which was perfect for what I wanted even tho bad pay.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  12. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi

I'm a Senior Tech at a school, and I work term time plus about 6 weeks. However, thats due to change to full time. My manager is full time, and my Tech is term time plus two weeks.

Holidays are a good time to get things done, like reimaging systems, server updates, new hardware installs etc. It depends on the school, but bear in mind that term time only usually results in Pro Rata pay; based on the no. of weeks you actually work a year. As an example, there are 38 school weeks a year. A salary of £15,000 would work out as £15,000 / 52 to get a weekly rate of £288. Paid weeks = 38 plus 4 weeks holiday plus 10 days bank holidays = 44 weeks, so actual pay would be £288 x 44 weeks = £12,672.

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  13. Andy L

Andy L Bit Poster

I'm the only 'full-time' technician (i.e. the only one being in for more than one day a week) at my school and I work term-time plus ten days.

Last summer, I came in for two weeks out of the six during the summer holidays to get a lot of the things that have already been mentioned in this thread done (Ghosting etc). The other technician and I were also made to clean the workstation monitors and keyboards too... fun fun fun! We should've got our new server installed then, but by the time we'd wrangled the cash out of the governors, it was already the October half-term so I had to give most of that up too :rolleyes: