ISCSI SAN suggestions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dales, Dec 2, 2010.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone could provide any pointers, I'm looking into setting up an ISCSI SAN for a (ATM) small scale vmware implimemtation (I'm thinking 2 hosts at the moment), and am looking for suggestions for the SAN hardware. I'm looking into the EMC AX4 as I administered one of those at my old place (along with A CX300). I have also enquired with a number of companies about comparable Netapp devices. Are there any other good solid companies that provide a small scale SAN. (price not necessarily an issue as I'd rather suggest a higher price tagged option than spend hours trying to fix a cheaper device later). But i am in mind that it should be fairly simple to administer as of course I may not always be there to fiddle with it.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

EqualLogic PS Series. Cheaper (much cheaper) than an EMC or Netapp in the same class, more reliable than either and so simple to administer, even an idiot could do it. Seriously - you can hand storage refreshes over to your developers if you want - it's that easy. Unless you need de-dupe, dynamically-tiered storage and a load of other bells and whistles (though both of these are actually now being shipped free with the latest PS Series) I wouldn't recommend anything else. I run my entire infrastructure on a couple of EqualLogic SANs that, combined, cost less than the price of support renewal alone on the Netapp they replaced.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

+1 fpr the Dell Eqallogics. We have just ordered 3 for our implimentation and some HP switches to go withit for the northern site to handle the ISCSI.

They seem really on the ball with it. If you want I can PM you the detials of the company that is helping us out with ours.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Those equilogics look awesome! I shall be looking more into those I think.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing