Is this too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by NewBee, Nov 18, 2009.

1. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Don't go. Seriously - don't go. You're wasting your time, absolutely no good can possibly come of it, everyone here already knows it's a scam, and the only thing that can possibly come out of it is that you might be convinced into signing up for something.

Take my advice - whatever you do, don't go.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I'll second that. They are a TRAINING COMPANY!!!

from their site that the OP linked to..

I mean, for goodness sake, if they are a bone-fide training company don'tcha think they could fulfill their own IT vacancies from their own students? Why on earth would they advertise and use a recruitment agency to fulfill their own vacancies in help desk, network support bla bla?

Sorry but that is illogical.

The truth is, they really want more students to part with CASH. It's a scam!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
    Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I believe you will be offered a unique opportunity when you get there. You see, there is this Nigerian prince who needs to sort out a problem with his inheritence, all you need to do is pay £10,000 to release 100million, and you'll get 10% for helping out ...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ok, so who exactly would you be working for?

It will be a chat about a job and then you will be asked to sign up to a training course first. Blah blah.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Sounds like a bit of a mess! IMHO, I would go the interview even if it is for the experience. Handling job interviews is a skill like anything else, and the more practice the better. I would not however, agree to pay anything for courses etc. If they want you as an employee, it is in the company's self interest to get you skilled up, so it is something the company usually pays for. If the interview starts to sound like they want money from you, I would just say thanks but no thanks and find the door. It just sounds hard to know what the situation is exactly without having a face-to-face and getting all of the facts.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  6. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Kinda what I was going to type. Just let him go and report back. It'll be his MASSIVE MASSIVE fail if he comes back like, 'guys.... i've signed up and paid 3k.. BUT I DO HAVE A JOB!!"
    Obviously he can spare some time to go and do it so.. not so much of a waste.

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Judging from the sounds of things it does sound too good to be true and would not even bother attending. Be wise and don't go near the TP.

I would get the books and one or two old computers and start learning for the A+ and get hands on practical experience. Ultimately only you can make that choice. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. NewBee

NewBee Bit Poster

Ok, while trying to find some back ground on the company in case they asked me "what do you know about us (Netcom)"? I found this: http://www.birminghamonline.org.uk/reviews/4/

This post is particularly insightful as well: http://www.birminghamonline.org.uk/reviews/5/

Oh well, if you don't try, you don't get! Thanks to everybody who posted, all opinions have been really appreciated. I think i'm gonna start a facebook group on these guys, its seriously wrong what there doing. I'm lucky i've only got a bruised ego :oops: and a bit of wasted time, sounds like some people have suffered a great deal more. Sad thing is, i'm sure that Netcom aren't the only one's out there pulling these scams and taking advantage of peoples good faith.

I'lll let you guys know the address when I've done it, might as well use my day off constructively!!! :)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
    Certifications: BTEC National Diploma in Computer Studie
    WIP: A+
  9. NewBee

NewBee Bit Poster

Probably shouldn't do a facebook group, they'll probably sue me! :argue

10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Oooch!

Well spotted...

8)

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

As you say bit of wasted time but it could of been worse and you did the right thing by get a second opinion on the situation which hopefully helped you in this situation. Places like this need to be regulated to weed out the cowboys as I'm sure there are some really good training providers out there and companies like this don't really help.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Glad you didn't fall for this scam and bait, best wishes and keep on keeping on. I'd use my time constructively now and even start reading the Comptia A+ book if you've got it. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Good bit of research there! The moral of the story is this:

Do your research before parting with money for anything - not just I.T courses!
    When it comes to learning and job roles, there is only one way forward; hard work!
    Self study, online learning, classroom courses all have their place, but you cannot buy yourself knowledge or a job - only the individual can do that.
    Well done on saving yourself a load of money and heartache!

Best of luck with your certs.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  14. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! that made me laugh that one :lol:, I see those in my junk email folder everyday

Ill second that Amen to Fergal, great idea and would therefore prevent someone ever falling into this trap if they were to come to this forum for advice perhaps have a new thread pinned along the lines of "Companys to watch out for" or "Blacklisted companys" (Blacklisted in the Certforum world that is :p) you get the idea anyway.

Glad you saw the big picture Newbee, Good Luck in future job searches!!! :D

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  15. NewBee

NewBee Bit Poster

16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The links are blank for me :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  17. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Same here...

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  18. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Me too, although they worked when first posted. Someone from their HR department been on to them perhaps? :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  19. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

They also worked for me aswell when they were first posted but not anymore, they must have someone here on certforums to of seen it then had it taken down so quick from the point of you posting it up on these forums.

Well there HR department can't remove any posts or threads on here :biggrin

If someone googled the company name would this thread pop up on google somewhere along the line????

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  20. NewBee

NewBee Bit Poster

Sorry guys, my fault, if you google netcom birmingham, right underneath the search result I took the links above from is my new thread http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread36819.html fake it jobs netcom birmingham. it doesn't work when you click on the search result in google either :x