Is this the start of Linux

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by christof, Oct 15, 2004.

1. christof

christof Nibble Poster

I have heard and read about alot of people's views and opinions on the future of Linux. Alot believe that this under rated system is starting to gather pace with more of the general public as being an alternative to Mr. Gates!

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20041014_103727.html

Just read the above review and it seems that this is confirmation of a possible birth of a main stream competitor in my humble opinion.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Certifications: certificate of life!!!
    WIP: A+
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I wouldnt tout linux for the desktop yet
    i mean, yeah there are distros that are fine for home users, but its just not ready yet

atleast, not for consumers
    fine for us geeks though, we love to tweak! :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. christof

christof Nibble Poster

can you see a time when it a major competitor though?

Certifications: certificate of life!!!
    WIP: A+
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

probably atleast a few years

it will take root in Corporate Workstations and get a larger server market share first

then it will hit the desktops

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

I use both Linux and Windows in the server enviroment they both have strong points and weaknesses. IMHO the desktop version is WAY behind the MS offering but catching up.

Both camps have strong supporters who tend to have a "silo" view of the planet and there is a lot of "teddies being chucked out of cots" over it.

6. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I think Linux as a server operating system is up there with Windows. As a desktop OS I think it's years behind Windows and will probably never compete with Windows as there are too many distros of Linux and application and game producers won't in most cases develop their products for Linux because of this and the fact that it's not user friendly to the average user. I know you can in most cases get alternatives to most software but the average user will be clueless this this. I also think they need to have a simpler installation method as the installation process for Linux can be confusing...

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011