Is this book worth the loot?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by delorean, Jan 23, 2008.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Hey all,

I know it's one of those FAQ's but how about this for a set of N+ books?

It's expensive to get books here in Cayman so I want to be sure I get off to the right start. I know there's a couple of hotly recommended titles knocking around the forums but how about this one?

CLICK HERE

Thanks.

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I don't know about the whole set, but the Network+ Study Guide by Groth is top notch.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the input. I was more or less thinking the same as the other two I haven't heard of.

It appears Amazon do an A+ kit too so I might order both and kill two birds with one stone. Does anyone know about the other books in this set and/or the A+ set?

p.s: Sorry for the double post.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Sybex is bundling their A+ and Network+ book products this way to provide a more complete educational package. I know that my Street Smarts book is bundled with the A+ package and it's selling quite well. Have a look at the reviews on Amazon and see how people who actually bought the bundle assessed it.

EDIT: There was a duplicate thread to this one with no replies so I sent it to the Recycle Bin. No worries.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Yeah I like the Sybex A+ book.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  6. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I took the plunge and went ahead and ordered both for the special Amazon price and saved 72% on the price!

Can't be bad!

I think one of the A+ books was written by a user on these forums? Shall be most interested to check that one out! :)

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, you've already read his advice, above: Tripwire45. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Aha answered my own question! It appears there is a Street Smarts book with the N+ set too, although by a different author, did you not have any involvement with that book?

The reviews on the two collections seem rather scant, but I like the reviews on the individual book pages. These sets (on paper at least) look like good value, shame they don't include the infamous Meyers books. With the two sets I just bought, are the Meyers books really that necessary for me now would you think?

I wonder if Sybex plan on bringing out box sets like A+ and N+ for other certifications?

Thanks for all the input everyone, much appreciate it.

9. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I got both the A+ and the N+ sets you've ordered. Both are very good. :biggrin

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

No, Toby Skandier is the author of that book. He's written or co-written several other network related books for Sybex. You'll find that when a publisher has a particular series such as Sybex's "Street Smarts" series, they'll recruit any number of authors to write different books for that series depending on the author's expertise and availability. Toby is well suited to author networking books while my particular background allowed me to author the A+ Street Smarts book.

Certifications: A+ and Network+