Is the windows 8 MCSA cert pointless?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Juelz, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I would preferably want to get the windows 7 cert but thats set to expire in Jan 14 which sucks, and I havent heard of many businesses using windows 8 and I doubt its going to impress an employer

2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi,

No it doesn't - it's only the MCITP cert that is being retired - the exams will still be available and you will instead earn the MCSA cert for the same exam-passes.

Keep an eye on my thread, here:

http://www.certforums.com/forums/wi...ows-client-exams-retiring-next-12-months.html

To keep up to date with the latest retirement schedule...

HTH

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
    Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I dont know if I said it wrong.. Im talking about this cert MCSA: Windows 7 Certification | Microsoft

when does this retire then? They have already stoped offering it at my college :(

4. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Really?? It's the brand new offering of the MCSA, and MS have no plans to retire it at the moment. Maybe your college only has sufficient resources to offer one course and, as Win8 is new, they're moving over to it...

Seems a strange choice when, as you say, in the workplace Win8 won't be appearing much for a while.

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Don't bother doing it at college. Buy book. Read book. Do lab. Sit exam. Pass. Smile. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
    RichyV likes this.
  6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Do you really think its do able from someone who has no knowledge of windows 7 lol... the course im doing at college looks at windows 7 abit tho.. if you could recommend me some learning resources I'd be grateful

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Just get a book that covers the exam topics, play with the OS and learn about the different Enterprise technologies that you could be used with the desktop OS (MDT, SCCM, SCOM can all interact with the desktop).

The exam isn't really that hard and with enough time reading the book, playing with the OS and confidence that you know the subject matter then yes, you can pass the exam.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Thanks is there a book you can recommend? I looked on amazon and they have a self-paced training kit, but that seems to have alot of negative reviews.

9. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

If you want to get a taster of what the MS Press books are like (the older ones were awful by the way, IMO, but the newer ones are snippier and to the point, much more tech-friendly) then do a free trial at Safari Books. I subscribe to the service as it gives me access to pretty much any tech book I could ever want to read. If you prefer physical books just look them over, make sure you're happy with the content, then ditch the trial and buy the book.

You're not going to get any better experience than getting hands on yourself. At a college you will go at the pace of this wonderful equation
    : "Tutor Speed x Lag Speed of Worst Student" (TM) me, just now.

I find your aptitude will increase as you'll be forced to find the answers; they won't be spoon-fed to you. You can explore more indepth too, you won't be restricted by the "curriculum" the college offers. And, as you're discovering, they're binning certs ridiculously early too.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  10. B33 ENN

B33 ENN Nibble Poster

Pretty much agree, but I would add that it depends a lot on your own personality as to which approach is best. Some folk are better at studying if on a course because it can pace their learning; provide an external source for the discipline to help them maintain the commitment; and the social aspect of being in a group can be constructive to the psychological aspect of motivation.

For example, I took a two tier approach: one side home learning certificates, and the other side at college courses. I felt the home learning could slip over time with distractions, sags in motivation, etc. Backing it up with a college course was like an insurance policy to ensure I had some external pressure to see it through.

Certifications: ECDL, ECDL Expert | Cisco ITE | CompTIA Strata, A+ | Microsoft MTA Operating System, MTA Server Administration | CCNA Exploration
    WIP: CompTIA Network+ | Microsoft MCSA Windows 7, Server 2012 | Cisco CCENT, CCNA
  11. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Iyt thanks peeps.. is there any news of the MCSA win7 expirey date as I need atleast 3-4 months to study

12. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

All expirations for the next 12 months are announced in advance, and it does not appear on this list. So, you must have at least 12 months - but I'd say longer.

13. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Thanks alot Im going to buy a cheap windows 7 refurbished computer to work on and hopefully find a good enough book (if one exists)

14. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

My has just bought in Windows 8 on tablets for our corp team (local government) quite a few bugs....can imagine we will be upgrading three separate councils soon with W8 by end of next year.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  15. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

We've got Win 8 rolling out to some clients already, I can only see numbers increasing over the next few months. That and a flurry of last minute SBS server upgrades before SBS 2011 is removed from sale completely.

We've not had much buggy behaviour in the environments we support as far as Windows 8 is concerned, most of the issues seem to actually be down to clients refusing to replace ageing 2003 servers.

All that being said I'd still go for the Win 7 MCSA and then just upgrade to Win 8 later on, that way your covered either way.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10