Is RIPv1 used by Autonomous Systems such as ISPs?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Antonio9000, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Antonio9000

Antonio9000 New Member

I'm preparing for the Network+ and read some facts that I'd like to clear up:

If I understood correctly:
    - RIP is a Distance Vector dynamic routing protocol intended for small networks with routers no more than 15 hops away.
    - Even the most basic basic Distance-Vector protocols like RIPv1 (the first version of RIP) can be used as IGP (interior gateway protocol) in Autonomous Systems.
    ...that's my confusion, if Distance Vector is intended for small networks, how can they be used as Interior gateway protocol in Autonomous Systems (such as ISPs) which are very large networks?

Any clarification much appreciated

2. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

RIP isn't used by anyone any more, everything support OSPF so that's kind of universal for IGP.
    I think you may have gotten confused between IGP and BGP there?

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  3. Antonio9000

Antonio9000 New Member

I guess it's not used nowadays, but COMPTIA Network+ considers RIP an Interior Gateway Protocol:

Here's a paragraph from COMPTIA Network+ training:

...The easy way to keep these terms separate is to appreciate that although many protocols are used within Autonomous Systems, such as RIP, the Internet has settled on one protocol for communication between each AS: the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP). [​IMG]

4. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

Autonomous System as a concept is just "network I control", versus networks other people control. Interior protocols are the ones you use inside the networks you control. Exterior protocols operate between many networks controlled by many people.

If you tried to use RIP as an exterior protocol, the internet would need to be an awful lot smaller. If you use BGP as an interior protocol, your LAN needs to be pretty complicated to justify the effort.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
    Antonio9000 and BosonMichael like this.
  5. Antonio9000

Antonio9000 New Member

Super Thanks for your answer, quite clarifying! :-)

6. marksoers

marksoers New Member

The software development company Link Removed should be able to provide you with software that is designed to provide your business with maximum value for your money. They should develop software products that are cost-effective and add value to your business without compromising on the quality. They should also provide software solutions, which are easy to install and operate. They should also create software products that are compatible with various operating systems and that require minimum training time for users.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2022