Is MCDST Relevant?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by SecretWeapon, Dec 22, 2009.

1. SecretWeapon

SecretWeapon New Member

As far as I can see the MCDST qualification solely covers Windows XP, and with Windows Vista & 7 now available I was just wondering how valuable the qualification really is?

I'm aware that a lot of organisations do still use Windows XP (including the one I work at), but would organisations that don't still see the MCDST as advantageous?

Also, will the MCDST qualification ever reach the end of its life? As in, will test centres stop offering the exam any time soon?

2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

It is still relevant as most organisations will keep using it for a while yet - remeber business always lag behind home adoption and I have heard of some businesses only just moving from 2000!

The exam will go end of life at some point but that date will be a while a ways soon.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would say that most businesses will continue to run xp for years to come even after MS stop supporting it in 2014. THe reason being is because it's trusted reliable and safe plus the fact that the majority of organizations just don't have the spare cash to roll out a new operating system every time microsoft decides to release one.

So yes the MCDST is relevant and will be relavant for a long time to come.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Yes :)

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  5. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Lets put it way i work for a large national company and my branch, which is large, doesn't have any Windows Vista & 7 machines, in fact we are still after XP licences.

Its same with a charity who's network I look after, however, i am thinking of recommending that they upgrade a percentage to windows 7 (with pc upgrades) each year so there is no hefty lump sum in the future that they would struggle to fund especaily now we struggle to get XP vlks at discount (and not allowed to use opensource solutions).

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  6. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Last job I had, they ran Windows NT4 till 2007!

GBL's advice is spot on! If it ain't broke then it won't be fixed! :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  7. SecretWeapon

SecretWeapon New Member

Thanks for the help guys.

Is a MCDST required to gain a MCSE qualification then? And is the MCSE qualification also still relevant? That's based upon Windows Server 2003 right?

8. loca1hero

loca1hero Byte Poster

Far as I know you can work your way to MCSE qualification after getting your MCDST and MCDST is a good cert to have :pand I am studying towards MCDST myself. I dont see MCSE vanishing in thin air for a very very very very long time it is still widely used "am I right guys :hhhmmm " and yes it covers Windows Server 03

Certifications: Network+ (004), MCP, see signature
    WIP: MCITP & few oths.Cisco aft sum XPri
  9. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

You don't need MCDST to get an MCSE, but it can help. You just need one XP type (client) exam to be able to follow the MCSE exam track.

MCSE is still very relevant in the sense that many headhunters, HR employees etc see the word "MCSE" and think "wow".

But Microsoft recommends a few years of experience in Server products before trying for an MCSE. Windows 2003 will still be used for another 3-5 years at least.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  10. SecretWeapon

SecretWeapon New Member

Looking at the Microsoft website, it seems that the logical progression after the MCDST qualification would be to go for the MCSA one. Am I right in thinking that if I gain a MCDST, then I could take the following exams to earn a MCSA:

70-290 - MCSAManaging and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment
    70-291 - Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure
    70-680 - TS: Windows 7, Configuring