Is it worth Re-doing an IT Degree

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Big.O.UK, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Big.O.UK

Big.O.UK Bit Poster

i am stuck in a particular dilemma

i obtained a IT related BSc degree a few years ago however with a low Classification (3rd Honors) i am just wondering if it would be feasible for me to maybe retake the final year again in order to maybe upgrade the degree to a 2:1 or something like that because i rang up an employment agency and he said that allot of employers look for a minimum of 2:1s IT related degrees these days however i do not know if there is any truth to this

since my time on this forum i noticed allot of IT professionals on this forum that are currently in the IT industry with Cisco and Microsoft Certs however with no University degree and they still got a job.

therefore i would appreciate any feedback from you all

do you think its worth taking a year out to do the degree again or would you concentrate on getting your self certified via A+,N+ CCNA MSCE eg: and finding a entry level IT job

thank you

Certifications: BSc SDA,HND SWENG
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I think the options are nice and open for you. The choice you take depends on how you want to study, and the resources you have available.

As you've said, a lot of people on here have industry Certs. With you already having a degree, I wouldn't personally resit; you passed the paper, you've got the letters. You don't want to make yourself look the same as the other guys going for your jobs by getting the same class of degree.

In my (relatively short) experience of the working world versus the educational world, if you have no experience, a vocational qualification will get you on the ladder. If you apply for a job with a 3rd, A+, N+, MCP, for example, an employer might look on you more favourably than a 2:1 because you have a wider grounding in current-industry certification. (my experience of looking at an IT degree yielded a lot of maths. I feel sorry for you, and am damn impressed at anyone passing!)

So, in short, keep the letters you've got, and go for the Certs.

And good luck!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I agree. I would <top up> you existing knowledge with a specifc IT related cert you are interested in.

Good luck.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Big.O.UK

Big.O.UK Bit Poster

thanks for your advice guys

i agree what you said if the LEA fund me then i suppose there isnt anything wrong with doing a degree aswell as some certs however if they dont then i am not forking out

10k out of my own pocket to do another degree

lol

5. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Have you thought of the Open University?

I am currently a student and know they have "credit transfers" so you might get a second degree for not a huge amount of work. there are several people on their 2nd or 3rd degree in there (I'll be moving onto a Masters when I finish).

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

well i hope its worth it cause mine is going to cost me 2 arms and a leg! :( but mine is my 1st degree thou:D

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Degree here, worth every penny! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Big.O.UK

Big.O.UK Bit Poster

Hello Sandy does the Open University offer the same degrees as a conventional university?. The degrees i am thinking of signing up for are either

BEng Software Engineering

or

BSc Virtual Systems & Video Game Design

i checked the OU website and there is no mention of the above Degree courses