is it worth in my case?

Discussion in 'Security+' started by Mariusz, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

Hi
    I have no experience In networks, except setting wifi routers, recently I did A+ and I learn towards N+ to do it this year, possibly October, I know that same rules apply S+ and if I pass next year I will have to repeat the exam every 3 years, so I was thinking that maybe I should do it this year?, but I have no experience in security except removing spyware and viruses :-) (and I don't work in IT Industry)
    is it worth to attend it in my case? or shall I focus on my N+ and keep going towards MCDST (which I'm going to do anyway) after it?

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

In my opinion you should do the N+ first then the MCDST.

Unfortunately that will mean you will have to do the Security + next year and recertifiy it every 3 years. BUt atleast you will be A+ and N+ certified for life aswell as MCDST

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

cheers mate, you are always helpful :-)

4. Monkish

Monkish Bit Poster

As I have head from a lot of people on this site, it depends on if you're just trying to pass the exam to get the certificate or actually learn and apply the materail. I didn't have a lot of computer security experience when I started, much like yourself, but I was able to learn it in an reasonable amount of time. If it's important for you to not have to retake the exam evey three years, which outside of the money wouoldn't be a bad wasy to review the material, you can do it.

Only you can decide what's the best course of action to persue, but should you decide to go for it, I would suggest getting a course on CD and some practice tests. Learnkey has both and I can attest that they're both very well prepared.

http://learnkey.com/Securityplus
    http://learnkey.com/Securityplus_MasterExam

Hope that helps. Good luck to you in your journey, whaterver you decide.

Certifications: A+, Net+, Security+
    WIP: MCSE
  5. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

Hi
    I bought Security+ Passport from M. Meyers, checked it, will be difficult to do it fast, I will try to do N+ asap, and to prepare to Sec+ to pass on Dec this year, hopefully will succeed (if not then I will gain knowledge anyway), I have quite a lot of spare time and breaks at work, so all I need is to force myself to learn more :-)
    thanks all :-)