is it worth getting CCIE ?

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by gionny, Jul 2, 2012.

1. gionny

gionny Bit Poster

Hi everybody I would ask a question...
    Is it worth getting CCIE nowadays , with only three years of experience in Networking?
    I'm really curious about networking world , so during these years , I got CCNA ,CCNP, CCIP . I also dealt with many others networks technologies , not included in these certifications , like FWSM , ACE load balancers , Juniper devices , Radware load balancers, PIX and ASA firewalls , and HP procurve.
    Working I realized that maybe could be more important to have a large exposure to many backgrounds respect to become an expert in Routing and Switching.
    I'm planning to move to UK for a challenging job , because Italy , as you surely know , and as MR Farage said , is triggering on the edge :) .
    But , I have two doubts , the first that I consider the most important , language skills , being italian , I'm not able to speak like a native speaker , so sometimes it results hard for me speaking to a recruiter by phone , especially when he starts to accellerate the words flow , eating the words and the voip line is deteriorated ; whilst the second is , how can someone climb the ladder faster ? getting a CCIE ?
    I'm not familiar to London market , and i'm convinced that improving skills can speed things up

Certifications: CCNA , CCNP , CCIP
    WIP: CCNA Voice , JNCIA , CCIE R&S
  2. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

I would say yes it is for personal achievement and financial reasons. I have read much about it - the written exam, the lab consisting of a 2 hour troubleshooting section and 6 hour configuring section. For me, it proves that you know your stuff to yourself and to others. Many of the people who have done it talk about a "process" that entails on average takes about 6 to 12 months of study and practise. One aspect I liked was listening to one of the ciscopress authors say that she studied for the expert level exams, I think it was the CCDE as an intellectual challenge. It sounds much like training for a marathon.
    There are many blogs and articles out there about preparing for the CCIE exam. Many say that you just need to get the written exam out of the way as fast as possible then hit the lab preparation. Why not signup for and account on the cisco learning network and download the certification exam topics?

Good luck. I hope to join you one day if you decide to take the journey to CCIE level. :)

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I just want to dampen your spirits here a little, there are a lot of native speaking network engineers looking for work so please don't think that coming to London to try and get a job is going to work for you.

As far as CCIE is concerned? it's still THE networking certification to hold... but with only three years of experience I would honestly suggest that it's not long enough BUT I am not a networking guy and don't proclaim to be, what I am however is an experienced engineer with a long history of knowing the industry and I can tell you that passing the CCIE with only three years of experience may well not be possible (I know guys who have tried it a couple of times and failed).

As I said back to you in February of this year if you already have a role stay in it because you will find it harder than you think coming here especially if your English isn't as solid as you would like.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. Cunningfox

Cunningfox Byte Poster

The CCIE is the ultimate network cert imo, getting it with only 3 yrs in the industry frankly may be not worth much as you won't have the experience to back it up, but it is a personal thing. From another point of view I don't think the earning potential increases a great deal over what you already have. Tbh the CCNP security might be a better fit if you want another cert given you have FWSM and ASA experience.

Certifications: CCNP, CCNA, MCP
    WIP: ??
  5. gionny

gionny Bit Poster

yours is surely a good advice , so in this moment I'm setting aside some money.If i have to be sincere , Rome is not a god town for a skilled network engineer, in Italy things don't work ,trust me, if you want to climb the ladder ,you have to be the son of some politician .
    I have lots of reasons to leave my country.
    CCIE can be hard if you don't know the stuff , but if you know the stuff very well it can be possible.
    I have just done some labs from Workbooks for CCIE , like Cisco 360 program , and I have to say , the real issue is the time (it's not enough)during the troubleshooting part.
    Staying in UK i can improve my english.
    In this moment i need to be optimist about my future.

6. gionny

gionny Bit Poster

In fact my question was , is it worth getting a CCIE ?
    many people do this effort for something.
    I have a master in networking after a telecommunications engineering degree , so if you count my studies , my experience can be at least 5 years.
    I'm accostumed to study as i' maccostumed to solve problems.I believe i can do it.
    maybe i will fail maybe not it's important to try if you believe in something.
    I hope this won't be another one bites the dust as getting a master degree in Italy.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012