Is it worth doing?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by dpatel, Mar 27, 2009.

1. dpatel

dpatel New Member

Hello people,

I need some advice and help regarding MCDST!

I am trying to get into a Helpdesk role and then work my way up the ladder but every job i applied for i have always had rejection letters.

I am graduate of Multimedia & Internet Technology but this is kinda of getting old now cos i graduated in 2005. I have no experience in the IT sector as i have worked in retail management since graduating.

I am now looking to get into IT as i have had the misfortune of loosing my job due to current situation. ive decided to try an enhance my possibilites and do a training course.

Is MCDST the right course for me or should i be doing another one??
    Also where is the best place to go for the training courses because i dont want to get ripped off.

Cheers

2. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

Please introduce yourself in the intro forum before asking advice from the community, on that note:

Your best course of action is start with CompTIA's A+ and Network+ then work on MCDST. The A+ and N+ will help you with MCDST and it is a bit tougher, so the former will help you get back in to study mode and teach you how certification studying and testing work. Good luck.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said^

Plus you do not need to do a course you can get the books and study yourself thus stopping the chances of getting ripped of and you can do it at your own pace.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. dpatel

dpatel New Member

i didnt know that you can just sit the exams sounds good that. you know how much it will cost to sit them.
    how lond does it take on average to be ready for the exams.

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You need to pass two exams for the A+ they cost £111 + VAT each however you can buy discount vouchers from www.gracetechsolutions.com for £107 each. The N+ exam cost me about £160 if I remember correctly and the Microsoft exams cost £88 each you get discount vouchers with the MS press books.

For study material you need

A+

A computer
    A computer (one that you are happy with taking to pieces and rebuilding).
    CompTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers (if your taking the exams after summer you will need his new book the 7th edition)
    PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles.

N+

A computer or two to practice networking or a decent computer to make a virtual network with
    Network + by David Groth
    Network + by Mike Meyers 4th edition.

MCDST

A computer with the network you used for the N+
    MS Press books for 70-271 and 70-272
    MCDST book published by Sybex

Studying all these can take a while it depends on your skillset and exprience level.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Breaker

Breaker Bit Poster

Is the 7th edition out yet? All I can find is the 6th.

WIP: A+
  7. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I don't think it's out until late May, so another two months yet. The new exams themselves aren't released until at least July and the current exams will probably retire 2-3 months later. You've got at least 5 months to nail it so my recommendation would be to get the 6th edition now.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The sixth edition is the latest edition.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. Breaker

Breaker Bit Poster

Thanks for the info soundian. I've got the 6th edition now so its studying time.

WIP: A+
  10. ledzepploid

ledzepploid Bit Poster

Is the N+ really that worth while if your aiming initially for helpdesk support? I got the A+ on monday and was going to start studying for the 70-271 tomorrow, gage my knowledge level against the exam objectives then book an appropriate exam date. What would employers prefer to see though for a helpdesk role?

To an employer without the knowledge of certifications, or an agency, wouldn't Microsoft Certified Professional and the cert title of Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician look better on your CV than Comptia N+?

11. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

As far as I am aware the N+ does the same for your networking skills as the A+ does for hardware, both a very worthwhile certs and if you are not working with networks all day you may find some of the stuff in the MCDST a bit confusing initally.

These paths are not set in stone but are recomeneded paths by people who have gone through and the certs to a high level.

For instance I am not doing the N+ at the moment but once my course finishes I may well go back and do the N+ Server and Security modules because I think the Comptia stuff is worthwhile.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012