Is it ok for a server to get its IP from a DHCP?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Does it matter or should it ideally be manually assigned one? I'm running some labs right now, and I cant be bothered to go through the process of finding available IP addresses on the network, apparently I'd have to download some program to get this information.I would have thought cmd/powershell could tell me but cant seem to find a command.

2. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Its just a test environment so you will be ok. You will find the server you are running will keep the address its get assigned. If you're working with hyper v then you can also use the virtual switch manager to give you a better idea of what the score is whilst not messing with your household connection

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Well you have a DHCP server somewhere, log on to the router and have a look at the lease table.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    garycul likes this.