Is it legal for buisness websites to make false claims?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Aureilius, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Aureilius

Aureilius Byte Poster

Found a website purporting to deliver the worlds hottest curry anywhere in the world. I called them, stated I was in Croydon, London & they refused to deliver.

B*****ds :mad

Here's the link.

http://www.curryhell.com/

I mentioned their website & that they claimed to serve the worlds hottest curry. She was dead proud & stated they'd won some records.

I then pointed out that they claimed to deliver said curry anywhere in the world & that I'm in Croydon, London.

She said "we delivered to Australia, but that was only once, I'm sorry"

I asked why the website made such a claim & she took my telephone number, explaining that she was simply a 'waiter' (her words, not mine) & could not commit.

I said again, "well the wesbite DOES make such a claim"

She said " Well it's possible, I don't know. I'll pass the request on to my boss & ask him to call you back"

I'm not expecting a return call. Hopefully I'm wrong.

What annoys me is that I'd probably have paid a delivery charge above the cost of the curry. Truth is, I didn't think to ask, but, with such a bold claim, you'd expect them to advise YOU on how to avail yourself of the damn curry.

Can't abide liars :mad

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

What a shame, I would love a really hot curry from England. I miss those more than anything. You just can't get a decent Indian meal here, there is no comparison :cry:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Code:
    Curry Hell ! The world's hottest curry delivered to
    anywhere in the world !
    You do appear to have a claim to be p1ssed off there, Aureilius. I'm ravenous now after looking at that. Let me know if you get a phone call ......

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

It's definitely against UK advertising standards laws. Make a complaint. I would :twisted: ! (But I'm a petty, petty man...) :oops:

EDIT: They delivered to Australia? Come off it, a curry direct from India would be quicker! I hope the customer had a microwave.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  5. Aureilius

Aureilius Byte Poster

Thanks Jak.

Not really expecting much but I'll let you know if they call back (been 24hrs already)

Point taken about the site making ya ravenous. Actualy, it's why I'm so pissed off with them :D

6. Aureilius

Aureilius Byte Poster

Thanks mate.

Hey, I can do petty :twisted:

Who does one complain to?

Thanks.

7. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Your local trading standards I'd guess. Maybe the Advertising Standards Authority but I go to Trading Standards first. They'll put you on the right path if they're not the ones to speak to.

I'm thinking about ringing them myself, placing a big order, then: "and can I have that delivered? Certainly, what's the address? South Wales..."

Mulling it over... :twisted:

EDIT: If you speak to them again, ask what proof they can provide pertaining to the hotness of the curry!

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Methinks they may direct you to "next morning @rse" to verify this !!

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. Aureilius

Aureilius Byte Poster

Haha. :D

You know what I'm really having trouble with?

I went out & bought a crate of Cobra in anticipation...

I want my money back..

where's that 'No win No fee number?' ...

:D :D

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with the local Indian restaurants in and around Croydon IMHO. I can still taste the spices from the Vindaloos I had in The Akash is Stafford road 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

the only issue i can forsee is that its on a website. not entirely sure how trading standards and advertising rules apply to the web. but remember, they were written without the internet in mind. then theres the issue of where the server is based. gets to be a VERY difficult issue.

That said, i agree with you. making a claim they cant substantiate is appalling.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present