Is being over-keen in a job a bad thing?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Juelz, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Do you find over-keen employees annoying for example employees that want to learn/do more and ask alot of questions etc? Or do you like it and feel they are worthy of your time?

2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

We've got one guy i took on about 6 months back, he wanted to do everything possible within our environment, SCCM, Desktop support, AD support, Storage - the lot.

He was always asking questions and very very keen.

It's a difficult balance in all honesty! The fact he's always asking questions and is interested is good, very good. However, for me to get the time to show him systems and give him information and skills on it is another matter.

My advice to him has been to concentrate on something specific to start off with, and setup a home lab with it. I loaned him one of our machines from work with a decent spec and told him to build out an SCCM lab. We got him some books and away he went, a few weeks and some more questions later he had it up and running, he got familiar with basics of SCCM and i've given him access into our lab and restrictive access in production to allow him to build software queries.

I've never seen someone so happy to build WQL Queries lol! it's actually taken a bit of load off of me, so i'm all for questions and helping others out

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Mike? Is that you?

4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Lol are you the guy he's talking about? that would be absolutely hilarious!

5. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

I don't think so but it does sound a lot like me at my last job ha ha

6. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

lol that'd have been awesome if it was linked, alas - i be not Mike :'(

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
    Jaron78 likes this.
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It's funny, I worked with a guy at my place and one day I spotted a post here about something I had been talking about with him.

I popped over to his desk and said.. do you post on CertForums... to which he replied... err yes... it's a small world and you never know who is watching.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Lol did he say anything bad about you by any chance?

9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Not at all did you @Rob1234 ;)

I had to admit he no longer works at the same place.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  10. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Not on here I didn't ;)

Certifications: A few.