Is age a factor?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by adrian, Nov 3, 2009.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What would you do, flip a coin?

If there are other things you would consider, then they're likely things that I would consider as well. All THOSE things being equal, and the ONLY difference being age, what would you do?

EDIT: For the record, the illogical, combative responses you sometimes give (such as your last sentence) only serve to illustrate my point. Not sure how you jump to the conclusion that I should assume he lied on his CV... :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Take the older one - if he stays with you until retirement there's less employer pension contributions to make ! :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Mr.Kamwah

Mr.Kamwah Bit Poster

Actually just to throw in an opinion, the smart thing to do would be two ask the two candidates for a second interview each to get to know them a little better.

EDIT: Plus, you're 'arguing' about variables/opinions. You'll never get one fact because you can't control how the employer thinks.

WIP: A+
  4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

The age thing was never suggested as a last choice when all else where equal. It was made out to be a factor which was considered high up the agenda. That is why i questioned it.

If the situation being discussed mentioned it was the only thing left to differentiate between two candidates then i wouldn't have said anything.

Em flip a coin? combative response much?

I'm pretty sure you understand exactly why i used taht sentence, and the point i was making so i won't bother getting into that.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. BosonMichael

But none of us have EVER said that age is "considered high up the agenda". Where did you pull that from?

That was a serious question. If you wouldn't choose by age, all else being equal, how would you choose? Flipping a coin? Rolling a die? Drawing straws? My point is that none of those options would be logical. How would you choose?

Yes, I do understand why... one, because you are sensitive to the issue, being 23... and two, you wanted to take a viewpoint to an extreme... which is something you should avoid doing in a logical argument. Saying that you might as well just assume that someone lied on their resume because they are young doesn't make logical sense.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Hey c'mon guys, give it a rest. Whilst I appreciate free speech an all it's getting a bit boring - can you move your "dispute" to PM's ?

Cheers

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. BosonMichael

Sorry, no. It's completely relevant to the thread topic.