IPOD backup

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Raffaz, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

How do i go about backing up all my IPOD tracks incase of HDD failure?

I had a drive die a while back, so i lost all my tracks, and lost the ability to add tracks to the IPOD, coz it wasnt associated to the library or something. How do i go about preventing that from happening again if something similar happens?

Ive currently got a seperate partition, and im wanting to create another partition on a seperate drive, so is it just a case of copying or imaging the tracks, or is there more to it than that? I noticed theres a backup option in version 7 of itunes, but apparantly, thats just for stuff bought from there. Cheers.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

PM Noel - he use to work for Apple, and give free customer advice!

3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I think you can backup/export a playlist.
    I did it for mine and it took about 15 CDs.

:blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Raffaz

I cant remember where i read it, but the backup function is only for stuff downloaded from itunes apparently. Ive got nearly 20gig that i need to backup, i definately dont wanna have to rip all them CDs again:)

5. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

I used to use a neat little tool called Ipod Agent which enabled all sorts of access and facilities for the Ipod - you could even connect a friends ipod and share music etc.

Using Ipod Agent you basically just copied all tracks off to a partition, and then did a standard backup....

Thats just how I used to do it anyway, sadly my ipod died last year and I havent got a new one as yet :(

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290
  6. Raffaz

RIP:cry:

Cheers for the prog, its changed its name to igadget now so im gonna take a look at that :)

7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Raff my boy check your PM :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  8. Raffaz

Just checked, cheers. Will those methods still allow me to update my Ipod with more tracks, i remember getting an error last time about it not being associated with the library or something.

9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

yeah cos, at the moment all your doing is just using it as a hard drive but so long as there is room then u can still use it to play music...shouldnt be a problem I hope lol...remember your storing them as data as opposed to mp3s...so those stored as data wont play on the iPod they are just sitting there...but put them as mp3s and they will play...:biggrin just the same way you would do with a CD...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life