Iphone 4

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Gingerdave, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Free upgrades?
    sheesh.. how i miss a competitive cell market!
    I am having the $18 upgrade fee WAIVED for actually living out the term of my 2 year contract, I will however still be paying $299 for my new phone

#ATTFAILASALWAYS

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I still haven't decided on whether I am sticking with o2 or not, I am not liking their change in Data tariff :(

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Yeah that was a total sickener!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Really acording to my data usage on the phone I have used 2.1gb since I have had the phone (insurance replacement in December) so 750mb / month is more than enough for me. How much do you use?

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. Gingerdave

Right then - Launch day so who is getting one today.

I got mine delivered at 08:50, and so far I am moderatly to fairly impressed. I havent experianced the "touch the bottom and the signal drops" issue reported on the The Register.

The additional speed in the camera app is welcome as is the improvement in quality. So long and short so far I like it.

6. danielno8

I had mine jailbroken and used to tethered to my laptop, although i fairness i haven't used much data in a while!

Got mine this morning too, just getting a quick play with it! Liking it !

7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

So on the day of release, users discover a (faily major IMO) flaw with the device.

For those not aware, the outer band on the side of the phone is the antennae. One half is the Wi-fi, GPS, and bluetooth antennae, and the other is the 3G antennae. These two antennae are separated by a thin black band across the frame. One of the ends of this band is placed on the lower left hand side of the phone.

Unfortunately, the placement of this particular band is in exactly the place where the phone is likely to rest against your palm when making a call left-handed. The skin contact appears to be acting as a conductor across the antennae, causing signal loss, and calls to drop.

This appears to be fine if you use a rubber bumper/case on the phone, as the skin cant get into contact. However I'm sure most will agree that you shouldnt have to use a case on a phone, it should be an optional extra.

Apple's response is not helpful

Regardless to say this sways me more towards the Desire. I will be waiting to see how Apple responds to this (fairly major) issue before deciding.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. Gingerdave

Its not been an issue for me tbh, I find the signal in general better than the 3gs by 1 - 2 bars, so even if that does kick in it only drops it back to the same point.

Fergal - go to the shop, put each in your hand and see what you think as you can spend forever going well this does this but the other one does that.

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

yeah it was likely a problem caught early in production, those who experience it will probably all be getting new phones, its not happening with every phone so I'm suspecting it's not a design flaw, but a manufacturing problem that was resolved at some point

Apples answers however are the typical apple BS
    'your holding it wrong' equates to 'your spending your money with the wrong idiots' in my world ;)
    but i dont seem to have any issues, a few 4.0 gotchas that are annoying, a future patch will probably fix them

oh and just for the record
    the problem is not when bridging the two antennae
    the problem is when bridging the right antenna and the bottom piece of steel (the part that's NOT either antenna)
    very likely a **** up from the folks in taiwan.. :)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  10. danielno8

Anyone know the technical information behind facetime?

It seems, to initiate the first call with someone, it uses the mobile network to check capabailities (wifi/iphone 4) then starts the call. Anyone disclosed what the cost for intiating a facetime call with an overseas iPhone 4 user would be (if any)?

Had one last night with a friend, so simple to use. No account sign up's or anything. Also heard it's to be an open standard??

11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

The cost would probably be the cost of that brief international call
    under 1< probably won't spike 25 - 50p depending on if your carrier has shafted you with connection fees (i think they mostly went the way of the dodo though)

Need to test it with a few of my English buds
    my PADI Course Director was a few places in front of me in line (I told her you could pre-order at best buy, she got there way early though!) so we were all in starbucks yesterday with about 5 iphone 4s playing with facetime and such
    haha

12. danielno8

hahaha brilliant. Just me and one other friend got it so far! Let me know what it looks like on your bill :)

13. Fergal1982

I thought Facetime was Wi-Fi only, so surely there is no cost, beyond whatever you might need to pay for the internet connection...

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  14. danielno8

My understanding of how the connection is set up though, is that it begins as a cellular connection. Which must be true due to the use of phone number to initialise the call.

15. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

the call is established via a standard GSM call
    then flips over to Wifi only
    you do not pay call charges for the duration of the facetime
    and im pretty sure at somepoint they will want to make it able to be initiated directly, there IS an option to make a face time call directly from the address book, i have not tested if this makes a GSM call in the background or not, but i probably should just disable the cell stuff or drop the sim card out and see what happens :)
    maybe its already doable without the cell call

16. Fergal1982

The demo units in the apple store are set up to allow facetime between them. They all used the facetime button from the contact screen, so it looks like it can be done without a cell call (unless it was automagically dialling a call, then switching to FT).

I've been in the stores twice now, playing with the i4 and the Desire, still not sure which I prefer to be honest.

Phoenix, do you jailbreak your iPhones? I'd be tempted to jailbreak one if I got it, just to get over the whole "Jobs owns me" issue.

I do like the widgets in the Desire, but to be honest, I could live without them and just go into the app. I already do that on my BB, so its not really a big deal.

I also like the idea of taking apps forward from device to device, I've never actually done that before. All the phones I've had in the past I've replaced, and moved on, with no ability to move my apps onto the new phone.

17. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

I jailbreak sometimes, especially after major udpates when i know there wont likely be another for a while
    its sometimes hard to update once your jailbroken, you have to 'un' jailbreak first :)

I have apps that i bought on my first gen iphone still with me! :D

18. Fergal1982

I took another huge gulp of the kool-aid this morning...

19. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

So how is that battery life on this phone for heavy usage?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
    Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  20. Fergal1982

no idea yet im afraid. I've heard that with heavy usage you will be looking at charging it daily, but a lot of smartphones are the same to be honest.