Iphone 4

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Gingerdave, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Not sold on Android
    I like Open, and I like Open Source, but as i said to a big ubuntu fan of mine the other day, in 10 years of consumer OSS, it still just fails to deliver, the concept is great, the execution is poor

Android is nice, but the handsets fail, hell even googles own nexus was horrendous, and i'm pretty vested in the platform now, so it needs to be a decent reason to bail, my accessories all work (since the 2G to now), my apps all work and sync, the handset from a competitor has to be good enough to not only break the 'cool its better than the iphone' but also the convenience factor of 'well i already have all this **** and it works'

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I have to admit I do quite like the HTC Desire, my dad and a few of my friends have them, howerver it feels like disparate threads brought together as opposed to a unified whole.

I do like the HTC sense front end - very pretty and I love the active weather wall paper but not enough for me to change. Its just not quite there yet enough for me.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I've got the Samsung Galaxy Portal/SPIKA/Lite (because I'm a] too cheap and b] too impatient to wait for the Desire, stock levels round my way have been totally mullered). Been fairly impressed, its running 2.1 at the moment and Samsung being the pains in the arse they are will probably never make 2.2 available but even with that I think I'll last the whole contract term with it.

The Desire is a nice phone but Sense is a pain in the rear end as it massively slows down update availability for the HTCs, last I heard the Hero was still stuck on 1.6 for instance.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I looked at that, but they dont have any plans to release it in the UK any time in the near future. Apparently our network just isnt able to support it in terms of data transmission

I'm inclined to agree. I have an iPod for my music (used to have a Zen Touch, but sorry, the price per gig of my iPod was better than a new zen, the capacity was bigger and, sorry again, but its just better!)

I'm not an apple fanboi by any stretch of the imagination. I'm loath to buy an iPad simply for the fact that Jobs doesnt own me, and therefore has no right to arbitrarily decide whether I should get Flash or not. If he thinks its on its way out, then he should be promoting the alternative, but continue to support a technology still in use until its decline. I dont like vinegar, but if I ran a chip shop I'd still stock it.

I've been looking at the Desire for when my contract runs out, but I'm leaning towards the "less is more" philosophy. I barely use my current BB for much more than texting, phoning (barely) and checking my emails. And in all honesty, my private emails I could likely not have access to on the move without crying too badly, its hardly exciting reading.

That said, I like my gadgets, even if I dont make full use of them.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

I'm hardly an apple fanboi either, as a technologist i can however see the vision jobs has, and how effectively he is realizing it

I didn't get a 3Gs because it held very little improvement over my existing phone, but my phones two years old now, and i have been eligible for an upgrade since the 3Gs came out, i've held off knowing that the new one would be released like clockwork as is the case with Apple
    the new one is a significant enough improvement for me to instantly say 'oh hell yes'

as i said above, changing platforms is a bit more of a bigger leap and requires more of an incentive
    having owned an iPhone since inception, i can say that my mobile habits have significantly shifted, it was the first phone that i actively browsed the web on, and I'm one of those cocks that will pull up Wikipedia to settle a debate in the middle of a restaurant ;)

6. Gingerdave

Yep me too.

7. Fergal1982

Definately not, in fact in all the time I've been on the forum, you tend to be the most 'mercenary' in your loyalties. More than willing to move brands to the better option. Gives your opinions more weight.

I dont necessarily disagree with Jobs' assessment, but its one thing to actively discourage it, and another to outright cut your user base off from it without actually consulting them on their needs. He appears to have had Flash steal his toys and beat him up in the playground, and is now saying that no-one who wants to be his friend can be friends of Flash.

I agree, that said I have a BB and dont really have a lot of lock-in with it yet. I barely use it's features, and there are no apps that are so fantastic that it ties me down to the brand. That said I havent found any brand of mobile that provides me with something outstanding. It used to be nokia, for stability and reliability, but thats less so now.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I love my iPhone and like Ryan I have invested a lot of money in it (software wise), admittedly I had with my older s60 or Windows Mobile devices but the iPhone is just that much better.

I was tempted with the iPad but decided that really the iPhone does everything that I need it to and is much more convenient (and it fits in my pocket, something the pad doesn't).

I am more keen on iOS 4 coming out than the iPhone4 at the moment because that's the more technological leap forward for me than the new iPhone. Don't get me wrong, I will be getting the 4, I just won't be rushing out to get it.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  9. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

The Samsung I've got now replaced my old N95 very recently, Nokia have lost their way, Symbian fell behind and then build quality fell off the priority list. Spoke to one guy who runs a Three shop and he said they've seen more returns of the N97 than any phone they've ever stocked.

I have precisely zero brand loyalty when it comes to mobiles, its all about what I can get that suits my needs. At the moment thats email and text messaging, although the web browser use is rapidly on the rise now that websites don't look totally buggered.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Amen
    but i have a 3G, so no upgrade for me without a newer phone
    i COULD get a really cheap 3GS instead, but theres not much point in THAT ;)
    and my phones down to < 4h battery life if im in the office with the WiFi on and the phone ringing lots, i literally have to charge it twice a day, replaced = can't come quick enough!

11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

As someone who has deployed a fair number of VDI solutions, I can safely aggree with jobs that Flash is a pile of tosh!

while it may be fine for the majority of fat clients that use <1%cputime most days, in a VDI environment the resource load is monitored far more closely
    i can watch a 720p or 1080p WMV file with LESS resource requirements than trying to run Hulu in full screen
    it really is evil, and if thats on a full virtual desktop environment i can assume it really would be evil on a portable device, apple provide not just products, but an experience, and their market share and capitalization is due to that experienced, letting me run flash, while nice, would probably cause a lot of the carefree users to not be so carefree, i can see the business behind it, and i really do think flash needs to die a death ;) or somehow become far far far better! they have never had to worry about things like 'battery' life or 'cpu contention' before, so they have not, and their product speaks to that effect, now they want to get in on the mobile space and its biting them in the ass

I can watch flash videos on a windows mobile phone or an android phone, but check the performance /battery life, not a pretty site, and jobs made his stand based on that.. however the anti flash **** he now spreads is just typical of apple BS ;)

12. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

HTC Desire.

Oh did I mention HTC Desire :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  13. Fergal1982

Arse biscuits! I took a look at the iPad today, and had one of the store guys (a friend of mine) run me through the sales pitch. I bloody loved it. So much that I've put myself on the priority list for a 32GB 3G iPad. Dammit!

And I've been taking a look at the iPhone 4, and must say im being tempted...

14. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

When I get mine I know who to call upon for advice! Did you debrand your phone and put plain Android on it? I don't personally like the HTC skin and would rather customize it my own way.

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  15. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

The new iPhone looks pretty neat, but a lot of what it does, has already been offered by other phones for the past 5 years. Two way video conferencing was possible on an HTC of mine back in 2007...

BUT, the iPhone sure has a nice interface, wish it wasn't so restricted when it comes to other things... I'd love to be able to sit in my bed before going to sleep, and suddenly say to myself "ooh, I wanna check out this scene from a movie I have on my NAS" and then open the NAS share and stream the movie to the phone. Still a little limited in that sense... needs massive workaround. On my Windows mobile phone, it's a piece of cake. On the iPhone... well, jailbreaking is unfortunately the way to go.

Still, it seems cool enough, and it's definitely going to bring awareness to many of the new features it offers people. That's a good thing. If in the past 5 years many of iPhone 4's features have been available, but haven't been used, at least the iPhone makes them main stream.

My problem is just that I would need to keep the phone "hidden" whenever I go to customers, since they tend to jab me in the ribcage otherwise with the typical "but you work for Microsoft, why do you have an iPhone" type comments ;)

Honestly... seeing how Microsoft invests a considerable amount of cash into Apple and holds a lot of their shares, it's still a good thing for us if the company does well... But people are funny like that :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  16. Gingerdave

Yep none of the features of the os are new, the camera so far isnt that impressive to me - the thing I liked was the strutural ariel - very ncie design.

I have always said to people who ask me about the mac, its not what it does its how it does it and the same is true of the phone.

Fergal

Having plaid with one for a big and thinking thats nice, where would I use it? what tipped you over the edge?

17. Fergal1982

To be honest, I've been considering buying a laptop for quite a while, but every time I do, I ask the same question: Where would I use it? I drive to work, so thats out, if I'm flying I usually have the work laptop, so thats out too.

The thing with the iPad, is that its pretty thin and light. So much so that its easy to see yourself using it whilst sitting watching tv (to check tv times, or where else you've seen that actor, etc).

Its small enough that I could take it along with a work laptop if I were out and about, so thats not really a limiting factor either.

Part of it is the fact that its a funky gadget, and I like em. It also helps that the ball and chain really likes it too. We spent a chunk of last night sifting around the app store seeing what apps we'd like.

I also have to agree with Jobs. Holding the web in your hands while you surf it is an amazing feeling. Doing it with mobiles feels a bit crap, but the iPad it big enough that its not incredibly annoying, and it does just feel good.

18. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

people still stop me on planes and comment on the picture quality while im watching 720p movies ;)
    think this trip i had five cabin crew and about 8 passengers stop by for a look
    lol

Also, i'd like to point out a few of the standard rebuttals of the iphone, 'its not the first to do this, it cant do this, etc etc'

i totally respect that if it doesnt do everything for you, dont buy it if its a deal breaker.. it doesn't do everything for me, but what it does do, it does so much better than the competition, its a no brainier
    I have a simple 1.99 app called AirVideo that i installed on my Windows file server, i can now stream any of the directories i listed in it to any if the ipads and iphones in the house, seems pretty easy ;)
    videocalling isnt new, but it never took off because it was a pain.. iphone to iphone with no config? hello! of course thanks to ATT its WiFi only, limiting its usefulness to practically 0 for the time being

it also wasnt the first phone with a touch screen, but almost every android phone and modern windows phone since has gone with the same style of touch screen, theres just no market for those crappy plastic ones anymore! :D

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  19. Gingerdave

Phoenix

I asked some friends of mine that were crying out on the "no flash card" I said great - now what do you use flash for on your phone. Stunned silence - not one answer from any of them.

I have had a look at one and I was very impressed with the screen, however with the excpetion of reading books everything I would do on it I use my mac for when travelling.

Fergal

Fair enough was just interested in the reasons - be sure to put a review up when you have got it.

Annoyingly o2 are drip feeding the information about their launch of the new iPhone, why cant they just skip to the bit where I can order it.

20. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I read an article about importing them via bundlebox(just shy of £250 for the high end model), has anyone tried that before?

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)