iPad

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rob1234, Jan 28, 2010.

1. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's not for using.

It's an Apple...

:rolleyes:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

It's good for one thing, looking at. Much like JK is. :D

I don't think JK would look too out of place at Madame Tussauds. :twisted:

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

You old git! :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Already a cpl DJ apps designed or in the works for it mate, like you said, dual tracks with individual controls and stuff, cool stuff :)

I picked up Wyse Pocket Cloud, the Citrix Reciever for iPAD, Bloomberg for iPad, lots of nice useage already!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

This definitely looks pretty sick! I really want to try it out because if I like it, I would definitely going to get one. My friend just ordered one, so I'll play around with his....

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Don't get me wrong - I love my ipod touch, so I'm very tempted by the ipad.
    But I may wait for the inevitable version 2.0 where they iron the kinks out - assuming there are any.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

I think it'll be great for watching pr0n... err, I mean movies in bed.

Well, overall a bit too simplistic for me. I guess I'm too much of a power user. If I think of it as a phone device (which cannot phone), it's fine with the feature set. But... I dunno, I would have gotten a warm and fuzzy feeling about it if it had a full blown OS X on it.

I have a feeling some Linux geeks will hack it sooner or later and we can get one with Ubuntu/Red Hat/SuSE on it :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

I just RDP into my View desktop or direct connect to my other systems via RDP with Wyse Pocket Cloud and Citrix Receiver

the HP Slate will be nice, but MS will always miss a beat without a dedicated app marketplace, hell a marketplace and monetization capability for small indy devs would rock, there are truck loads of devs out there

I'm still not convinced the slate needs full blown win7, it needs some kind of cut down win7 for pads type deal, I've got high hopes that the tablets time is upon us, 10 years ago when I had my first tablet/slate PC it was not.. bring on the next decade! but I want apps written to take advantage of the interface changes, not apps that i can navigate the old fashioned way with by using my finger as a mouse..

9. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Whats the multi-touch interface like with the apple products? (I only own an Ipod - mainly because I see things like the macbook and think you are just paying for a style, rather than substance) I thought apple has a patent on multi-touch that would effectively prevent it coming out on non-apple products.

Scott Kurtz over at PVP Online has an interesting review of the iPad from a comic artists perspective.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

I dont think so, Multi touch is on my Nikon Camera, on my Wacom Bamboo Stuff, on HP TouchSmart PCs...
    and on Microsoft Surface stuff,

multi touch works very nice, the annoying thing is some devs integrate it in different ways, so a two finger swipe in one app is different than another, obviously this is needed for certain apps functionality, but i want to scroll with two fingers across apps, not learn a new way to do it every time i get a new app :)

11. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

The issue there is standardisation in UI design. Most sources recommend that when you design a UI, you do so by keeping things as similar to what people already know, so that the learning curve is much smaller.

Of course, touchscreen tech is still in its infancy, particularly multitouch. so theres not real consensus on the "standard" way of doing things. Eventually, once things settle down a bit, you will find that generally there will be a single method of doing certain things with multitouch.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Apples App approval process helps with this to a large extent though, there are very few examples of what i'm listing :)

full gestures would be nice too :)