Investing in an A+ certification.

Discussion in 'A+' started by strangeupquark, Mar 29, 2005.

1. strangeupquark

strangeupquark Bit Poster

Ok, first thread I've started on the forum, and I'll likely ask questions that have been covered before. But here goes.

I've decided to get back into certification, and really like the look of the A+.

I have followed several of the link to training vendors from the forum, and had a look at prices etc. I was wondering if completely self taught was a viable alternative to registering with a training vendor. Some of the posts in other similar threads have suggested buying study guides and exam guides, and then just paying for the exams at the end. Several of the training vendors seem to imply on their websites that there are 5 days classroom studies as part of the course content. Am I correct in this, or am I misreading the sites content?

Either way, I plan on calling my local Prometric Testing Center (BIC Systems in Belfast) and try to find out if they test for this certification, and their cost for the tests themselves.

Any advise is greatly appreciated. :D

Thanks in advance.

Brian.

WIP: A+
  2. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

OK, basicly how you go about it is up to you really. If it is your first qualification, and you are not that farmiliar with the workings of a PC, I say go for the course route. However, you can always try self study first, and if that dosn't work, you can go the course route. It's down to personal preference. Self study does take a hell of alot of self motivation tho, there is always that game/book/tv/girlfriend/whatever there to distract you and take up your free time. :D

Also, whilst there will be courses on offer that last 5 days, there will also be one's that last a month and more. The 5 day courses are mainly designed for those that have a pretty good idea of what is goin on already, and would probably be no good for a novice. It is simply impossible to absorb and understand that much information if it is new. WHilst you could probably pass, you really wouldn't have learned the subject matter

And finally, yes, Prometric do offer the A+ exams, and I believe that they cost just over £110 (it's on here somewhere!!)

Also, you can just go to www.prometric.com and that will give you all the information you need as far as the exam is concerned.

I hope this has helped you some, and if you have anymore question, fire away. :D

Good luck with whatever you choose, and we will be around to lend a hand. :)

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Self taught is certainly an option but it's not for everyone. I tried that route originally, but at the time, I had no background in computer hardware and I couldn't tell the difference betweein an I/O and an IRQ. A classroom situation was alot better for me than self-study would have been. You're the only one who can answer the question for sure. You might want to take a look at an A+ text, open up a computer, and see if this is something you feel you can pick up. I studied and was totally lost until I found a way (through my local uni) to put it all in context.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. strangeupquark

Thanks for the replies punkboy and tripwire.

Luckly I've had a bit of experience with the inside of a drive case, having built (with help from friends) my current computer. Plus almost 3 years of upgrading and repairing has gotten rid of (most) of the fear of playing around inside a 'puter.

A friend of mine was telling me he has the official A+ study guide gathering dust on his desk in work, and is happy to donate it to the cause. So thats a plus.

I think I'll see how things go with self-study to start of with, and if I'm getting nowhere I'll see about a paid course.

Thanks for the advice, and I'll keep you all posted. :D

Edit : punkboy, ment to ask where abouts in Canada you are? I have loads of family in Ontario, and my late partners family is from St. Johns in Newfoundland.

5. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Cool, sounds like your all set to get goin self study, and by the sounds of things you shouldn't have a problem. Also, you have this place, and we are always willing to lend a hand.

to answer your question, I'm in New brunswick about 2 days's drive from Ontario, but I'm "close" to Newfoundland (could get there in about 10 hours lol)

I've only briefly been to Newfoundland, but is a nice place. If you look on the guestmap you'll see where I am, hopefully for not too much longer. I'm moving back to Buckingham near Milton Keynes sometime in the next few months, just gotta get some cash saved up:D

Link to guestmap http://www.certforums.co.uk/index.php?page=mapuk# , then click on world. :)

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  6. strangeupquark

Thanks for the advice, and encouragement. :D

I've decided to try the self study route to start of with. A friend of mine has a copy of the official A+ study guide (not sure if its upto date), and I'll buy one or two other books as well. All in all, I'm looking forward to getting started, though I'll have to wait untill the middle of next month to do so.

So fingers crossed. :D :blink