Introducing me!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by BoonMonkey, Jul 4, 2012.

1. BoonMonkey

BoonMonkey New Member

Hey everyone,

My name is Kyle, I'm an 18 year old from Bedfordshire, UK. I have been in employed work for a year now, however I feel I am wasting away here. Currently working in stores doing an NVQ level 3 in business administration, it isn't what I want to do. I've always been focused on IT, gaining knowledge and self teaching myself things since I got my first computer when I was 13.

I didn't study all too well at school. I didn't have the dedication... However, now after working for a year my work ethic has improved dramatically, I've gained ambition to get out of this basic job and do something with my life and as IT is a huge part of it, that's what I want a job doings.

My current qualifications are as follows:

GCSEs:
    English language: C
    English literature: C
    Maths: C
    Science: B
    Additonal Science: C
    Graphics: C
    BTEC ICT: P (Pass)
    Business studies: B
    R.E.: D

A-Level:
    AS Business: E
    AS General studies: E
    BTEC Level 3 National Diploma ICT: M (Merit)

NVQ:
    Level 2 public services
    Level 3 Business administration (Currently doing as part of my work)

CIW:
    CIW Web foundations associate

I am currently trying looking to try and achieve my CCNA, been studying in my spare time. Would really like to move onto gaining a CCNP Cert after that and see where things go from there. If I could achieve CCIE I would be over the moon!

Nice to meet you all. :)

2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF.

Looking at what you have already got, I would look at getting into a first line support role sooner rather than later.

If you get your CCNA and you are still not working in IT, then it can sometimes work kind of against you, as you have no experience and so forth.

Look for 1st line support roles and start applying, or at least I would look to do it as soon as you can once your NVQ is completed. As long as you can demonstrate a good grasp of basic computing and a good level of customer service etc then you have all you need for first line. Then once you get your CCNA you will have experience to go with it and can really start looking at moving up the ladder as it were.

I would probably take a step back and do A+ and N+ in the meantime if you are not going to be able to move jobs for a little while yet, As you currently have no experience in an IT job, these qualifications would probably better promote you for an entry role in IT.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  3. BoonMonkey

BoonMonkey New Member

The company I currently work for have recently (February this year) bought out an IT company. As I said in my first post, I currently work in stores, however I have been asking my manager for a while about moving onto the IT side of things, be it when my NVQ is finished or before.

Thanks for the suggestion about doing A+ and N+ first, I'll have a look into that and see where I can do them locally. :)

4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CertForums. :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA