Interview Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by oscardelaboya, Aug 31, 2010.

1. oscardelaboya

oscardelaboya Bit Poster

I've managed to get myself an interview for a service desk position but two of the criteria/competencies seem a little vague,has anyone got any idea what sort of questions I can expect on these two points?

1. Knowledge of computer systems backup and security procedures
    2. Knowledge of IT Service Management and Project Management

Ahh nothing like a bit of last minute panic setting in! :unsure

Certifications: 70-640 AD, Configuring/MCITP Enterprise Desktop Support 7
    WIP: 70-642
  2. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

I'll be honest,

I probably cant help you with an understanding of these criteria, but wish you all the best anyway!
    If its not too cheeky, are you with an agency, if so, which one?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Without trying to second guess the hiring manager I don't think I can give you a really clear idea what they mean with those two BUT....

They've invited you to interview, so don't worry too much about it you've obviously got something they are looking for so just go for it!

As far as the backup things goes though, I've successfully answered questions relating to backup systems when my only experience is with a very elderly copy of (veritas) backup exec. If your familiar with the concepts you should be fine.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

1. Know the differences between Differential, Incremental and Full backups. Know of the various backup products out there (Symantec Netbackup and Backup Exec, Microsoft DPM, Legato Networker). With regards to the security procedures I would hazard a guess that they are talking about encrypted backups, offsite storage, weekly, monthly and yearly backups.

2. You should have an understanding of what ITIL is (IT Infrastructure Library) and the functions of a Service Desk (all part of ITIL Foundation), as far as Project Management goes, know that there are a number of different Project Management methodologies, the main ones are Prince 2 (PRojects IN a Controlled Environment), Six Sigma and PMI\PMP.

Out of them all I would say that the Backup and functions of a Service desk are probably the most important for a Service Desk role. Knowledge of Project Management methodologies should be a secondary priority.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

Best of luck mate :)

Certifications: See sig.
    WIP: Everything!
  6. oscardelaboya

oscardelaboya Bit Poster

Cheers, no its not through an agency, applied directly to the employer

7. oscardelaboya

oscardelaboya Bit Poster

Thanks, I have some experience of using Veritas backup from a previous position so should be able to come up with something!

8. oscardelaboya

oscardelaboya Bit Poster

Thanks for this, gives me more of an idea (hopefully) of the sort of stuff they are going to ask. I think you are right about the backups and service desk management being the main priority. Ill be pretty surprised if they start asking in depth Project Management questions! :eek:

9. oscardelaboya

oscardelaboya Bit Poster

Thanks