Interview Tomorrow ... Help!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by supernova, Apr 17, 2008.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Had a telephone interview out of the blue yesterday, was told that interviews wouldn't start until the end of next week , closing date actually been the 25th.

Got a call today asking if i can make a interview tomorrow.. holy!

This is the first job interview i have had since 2000 probably the 5th i have ever had.

Starting to panic ... mainly about psychometric tests as i am not very good at them been dyslexic .. pattern what pattern :D

.. i don't even know if there is one.

This is entry level help desk with full training .. they know i used to be self employed repairing desktops and laptops and they know i am studying A+

Any advice ? .... i know i don't have any time to prepare for anything. :cry:

Andi

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Go into the interview as yourself, hpefully you have informed them of your dyslexia if not tell them when you go in as it will help them as much as it helps you.

With what your leaning on the A+ and from you experience you should be fine, don't panic and take it easy.

Good luck mate :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. supernova

Thanks.

Yes i said that i have dyslexia in my cover letter, i also said that i use technology to overcome this disability.

The fact that they haven't asked me about arranging a test around my dyslexia (a requirement of the disability act), makes me think that there isn't one or at least not tomorrow.

Andi

4. greenbrucelee

it might just be a general interview then and they may discuss a test with you then.

5. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

All the best for the interview.

6. supernova

Cheers GiddyG

7. supernova

Just got back i think it... went well.

Had a technical test that i could have done better after the A+, in fact i am sure they were A+ questions.

I am sure that i answered all the questions that were in scope of the job well.

just need to keep my fingers cross.

Andi

8. greenbrucelee

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya :)

9. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Any idea when you'll find out the result? :D

10. supernova

I should know at the end of the month

AndiC

11. paradoxni

paradoxni Nibble Poster

congrats on the interview, hopefully it all turns out good!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCDST, CCENT
    WIP: Server+
  12. supernova

Still waiting

Phoned up later today, receptionist said that the IT guys had left. But they hadn't yet made any decisions on the position.

Fingers still crossed, but getting fed up waiting for a yes or no answer... I cant concentrate on my A+ studies

Andi

13. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Have you been applying / interviewing for other jobs, or are you just hoping this works out? :blink

14. supernova

At the moment just hoping this works out :cry: .... there isn't exactly many entry level jobs available at the moment. I use local papers and the main search engines, there's been nothing in the last several weeks and i am in the Thames Valley.... its a worrying sign of slowdown. Ironically there's loads of senior positions.

Main local paper hasn't even advertised a single IT job for the last several months

If i don't get it I'll get a part-time job doing anything and spend more time on study , whilst keeping an eye out of course. Hopefully things will start to pick up again

Andi

15. supernova

I could probably get something sub contracting ... however, i though sub contractors really need experiance behind them.

Andi

16. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I would say it's more a worrying sign that you're not looking hard enough!

Now your talking! They're plenty of 1st line servicedesk stuff out there on jobsite etc that are paying in excess of £10 an hour - that's 19k a year based on a 40 hour week. Depends if you want to do it though...but it is a good start but you will meet the typical IT sh1thead wash outs in that environment. Just don't listen to their bollox and you'll be fine!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...