Interview today - 1st line at Investment bank in London

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by steve_f, Jun 18, 2008.

1. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

I'm very excited about this interview.
    They apparently are excited about me too, they specifically want an MCDST.

Does anyone here work for this type of company? I would imagine the technology is cutting edge, and that there would be a very steep and rewarding learning curve.

UI have researched the company, printed a list of questions I intend to ask if they don't cover them, and have made a list of common tasks that I perform on a routine basis in my current 1st line job.
    I'll update you later today on how it went.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Best wishes and good luck on the interview:), look and sound interested when being interviewed.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Just curious Steve, as you landed an IT support role not too long ago with your enthusiasm and MCDST or you an IT contractor?

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  4. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Good luck with the interview, sound like it could be a good place to work!

Im still on the lookout for my first IT job!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Best of luck mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

show lots of enthusiasm and keep talking and match certs and exp to the job role and you laughing :)

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  7. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Good Luck...

8. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Best of luck !

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  9. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

Onoski, you are right, I got a job with my MCDST about 8 months ago. Good memory!

I am relatively happy in my current role, but there are a few things getting on my nerves.
    therefore, I am looking for a better job. the ideal job, hopefully. I have time, I'm in no rush, so I apply for decent looking jobs and hope to be contacted.

It's a luxury in one way, because I can be fussy. Last time I was so happy to get an offer that I took the job even though it had a few negative aspects.

The hard part is getting time off work for interviews. I have had 3 interviews so far, and 2 of them want me back for second interviews. This adds up to a lot of time out of work. Hope they aren't getting suspicious.
    But I earn these holidays, so i have a right to take mornings or afternoons off when I want, isn't that so?

The interview went well I think. Lots of typical interview questions from the head of support, a more managerial than technical person. What are your goals, what is your greatest acheivement etc.

There was also the head of the service desk present, he asked some technical questions about AD and exchange. They also gave me some scenarios, like "angry customer", "alone at the helpdesk and there's 3 different major problems, what do you do", "a computer has crashed during a major investment trade, what do you do". I think I did well. Each time I emphasised that I HAVE been in these types of situations a lot, and that my answers weren't just hypothetical.

At the end, I asked them "Do you have any concerns about whether I would be right for this role?" and they both agreed that I would fit in well in their team, and that it was obvious that I could do the job well, based on my answers to questions, experience, and qualifications.
    They have to interview someone else next week, so It'll be a while before the second interview if I make it that far.

I haven't heard back from them yet, interview ended 3 hours ago, will hopefully hear something tomorrow.

Thanks for listening, I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
  10. Sar_Pam

Sar_Pam Bit Poster

Best wishes! and good luck on ur interview.

your the lucky one ..!

Certifications: A+, Master degree in computers
  11. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

Well I heard back today.

I have made it to the second round :D There is me and one other candidate in this final round.

Interview is next Wednesday with the IT director and HR manager. Before then I have to do an online personality test for them as well.

12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Best of luck mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

find out where he lives and we'll "deal" with him no questions asked :ninja

i hate having 2nd interviews, id rather have one with everyone and have it done and dusted in one sit.

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  14. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well done and best wishes for the next interview as am sure you'd give it your best shot:)

15. somabc

somabc Bit Poster

"Angry Customer"
    - wind them up until they go away, strategically hang up the phone until they get the message especially after making them explain the problem each time.

"alone at the helpdesk and there's 3 different major problems, what do you do"
    - Make some coffee and check whats going on at Facebook, everyone must be out fixing the problems

"a computer has crashed during a major investment trade, what do you do"
    -Phone Dell and order new computer, explain to trader it will arrive from China in 3 weeks, hey what you going do, if they get stroppy tell them you accept bribes seeing as they are fantastically well paid, hint, hint.

Disclaimer: This "advice" may not help you land that new role in tech support and is certainly not practised by myself

:twisted:lol!

Well done on getting through to the 2nd round I'm sure you will walk it! How did you answer the questions out of interest?

Certifications: BSc MBCS
    WIP: MSc, PRINCE2, ITIL
  16. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on making it this far. Do you actually like the company? Since you already have a job you can be a bit picky and really see if this is a good fit for you.

Best of luck...

17. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

Thanks for the "good luck" wishes.

I had the 2nd interview today, I think it went well. It was with a HR person (lots of competence based questions) and an IT operations manager (he would be my bosses boss)

I can't go into too much detail now, I am at work.

I really really want this job. There are 800 in the building, and 100 of them are in the IT dept. I'll be surrounded by IT people!! There will be 4 other 1st line people.

They said I would hear last thing today or (more likely) tomorrow.

18. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Good luck with the job mate. Sounds like a good one.:biggrin

There might be one going shortly.:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  19. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

Didnt't get it - they thought I was overqualified :x . They felt I would get bored quickly, and move on, or become hard to manage.

Gutted, but these things happen.
    I can't help feeling they wasted my time, I had a technical test, 1st interview, personality test, and 2nd interview. After the technical test and 1st interview, they should have realised if they felt I was overqualified.

20. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Very strange thing to knock someone back at on the 2nd round on overqualified, they could have gotten this from the CV or perhaps from the 1st interview.

Anyway its there loss!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5