Interview Question

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by JackBauer24, Apr 29, 2010.

1. JackBauer24

JackBauer24 Bit Poster

I could say that field work wasn't my forte, but I would also have to explain the reasoning on why I couldn't last there more than 3 months.

The bolded part is a bad idea because if I tell them something up front and have to correct myself later, then I have already lost their trust and the job because I withheld information. It's better to be upfront about it and just rip it off like a band-aid. Hopefully the prospective employer will understand.

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

None taken (now :p)

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. JackBauer24

JackBauer24 Bit Poster

drum_dude, on the application, don't you have to put down the company's phone number? Or do I just leave that blank?

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Now now chaps, lets keep it in our pants shall we?

Honesty has never caused me too much grief, I've been 'let go' from close to half my roles, I've 'let go' of the other half, as long as you have never been outed for gross misconduct or something, the chances are you are not going to get a bad reference (people are very very wary of giving bad references)

You were not the right fit for the particular role, big deal, how many times do we do something and realize its not quite what we were after? or what we thought it would be, there are indeed two sides, the unfortunate downside is there ARE some companies out there who will look at it negatively, this doesn't bother me, as they are the kind of employers I would probably be adding to the 'letting go' list if that's the feelings they have about employees who have been let go

the fact is, if you can do your job, and do it well, and fit cohesively with the existing team, you will make a valuable employee, and most people put far more weight into personality and attitude when hiring, its very difficult to gauge someones technical prowess in an interview, but you can get a feel for the type of person they are

To echo what others have said though, this is not the 80s, IT is not the 'join up and stay for your gold watch' type of career, you will change jobs, and with each new job you will be exposed to new tech, the most high end techs I know have had as many jobs as me (or more) or contracts for just as long, to be a great tech takes exposure to, well.. technology! if you stay at the same place, your chance of learning as broad a tech portfolio as your peers

IT requires passion, you need to eat and breath if in your spare time (not all of it mind, I enjoy hitting the ATVs, playing video games and eating out all the damn time, but self improvement is a big part of moving up in IT circles)

I can't really help you with your specific problem, the easiest way is to leave it off the resume, the markets harsh and 3 months out of work isn't likely to look bad (trust me) or you can list it and say it didn't work out, it was a little outside the defined scope and you just didn't meet their immediate needs, life goes on :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Jack, in the UK I've only been asked (times 2) for the name, address and phone number of referees of which one of them MUST be from the previous employer.

It's your call...it's down to you what you put down on paper!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  6. drum_dude

Spoil sport!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  7. JackBauer24

JackBauer24 Bit Poster

You think it's wise to leave it off, Phoenix? My last job, I worked from June '09 to Sept. '09. After that, I've been going to school and reading cert books to get certified. If they did a background check on me, wouldn't they find that I worked for those months?

8. JackBauer24

JackBauer24 Bit Poster

If it was up to me, I wouldn't put down the main number for my previous employers and just have them call my references instead. But I guess I will only find out if they need it once I go through the app/interview process.

9. drum_dude

Phoenix has spoken...the dude is the wisest I've come across in this game!

:biggrin

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  10. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

After reading everyones posts I now reckon you should just leave it off your CV. I don't see how anyone could know unless you are going for a gov job and they could check your tax records etc.

I like Phoenix's way of looking at it, you win some you loose some, picking yourself back up is all that counts. Best of luck

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  11. JK2447

Have you come across many men in this game? :twisted:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  12. drum_dude

It's just that Compaq Evo in his profile pic... :twisted:

13. JK2447

Ha ha that made me chuckle. I think there's more than a few people on here that we could all learn from. I try to keep my mouth shut and ears (eyes) open but where's the fun in that :lol:

14. drum_dude

Very true mate...I put myself out for flaming on a regular basis. It's fun though! :biggrin

15. beige

beige New Member

responding to the original post.

all you have to say mate is that in your 3 month probation just wasn't working out - i.e. the truth! - that's what the probabtion is there for.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  16. Rockets34Life

Rockets34Life Bit Poster

Dude, just tell them the truth. It will set you free and won't be a burden on you when you speak to employers.

17. JackBauer24

JackBauer24 Bit Poster

Well, it looks like I'll just have to tell the truth, but hope to spin it in a positive way (crossing fingers). I really want to bash the previous employer, but I'm not going to, but I also don't want to bash myself. So hopefully they understand why I chose to go the school and cert route to improve my skillset.

18. JK2447

I'm very glad you touched on the above. Never ever bad mouth your previous employers directly. Mention that you weren't supported, was denied training, didn't have much contact with them etc but always keep in mind that they were your managers, and that you are explaining this to prospective managers. I think its very important to show respect for your manager regardless of whats happened or what you really think. Not everyone will agree with me but I respect people who have worked hard enough to get higher up the ladder than I have. Remember the Godfather part 3? Never let others know what you are really thinking :biggrin