Interview Preparation

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by AJ, Dec 20, 2004.

1. mitchelj00

mitchelj00 Banned

Hi all,

What clothes do you wear, what questions you want answering, what questions you expect to get asked and how do you prepare the answers for them. Do you get any info on the company and where do you get it from.

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Necro Post FTW.

I wear smart clothes (it really depends on the role you're going for and what the dress code is but rule of thumb is suit, shirt and tie).

How many hours am I expected to work (37.5 or 40)? weekend working? lunch breaks? training?

All sorts of technical questions pertaining to the role.

Yes, I would get some information on the company concerned, who\when and where they started, what they do etc. The internet, their own publications etc.

Ideally however, please consider either reading the post or starting a new one because I suspect all of your questions were actually answered here already.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Nice signature btw :thumbleft

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Wear a suit
    Expect to get asked questions on the technologies you'll be working with, and the usual HR bollocks about working within a team, relationships with people who aren't from your ethnic background/gender, working to deadlines etc. Technical answers should be easy if you know your stuff, the 'softer' questions are more difficult to deal with - you'll only get a gauge for how to answer them when you;re in the interview.
    Always research the company - bloody pointless going to the interview if you don't know anything about them! The internet is pretty much the only place to bother looking for info about a company nowadays.
    Arrive 15 minutes early. Have a glass of water before the interview whilst you're waiting. Use the extra time to get acclimatised to the temperature in the office (don't laugh - nothing more off-putting to an interviewer than a candidate who has run to get to the interview and sits there sweating through the first half hour :biggrin)
    I don't take my certs with me unless specifically requested prior to interview (and it only has been once)
    Eye contact with all the interviewers - but don't stare, this just freaks people out. Handshake at the beginning and end - firm but not a martial arts grip - you want to leave them with an impression, not a trip to casualty
    I don't handle panels any differently to a single interviewer - other than the obvious one of directing answers to questions back to the people who asked them

One more thing I'd add - cover up any obvious tattoos you have. I've got a beautiful big koi on my forearm - most people still don't want to see that at interview!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. zet

zet Byte Poster

Silly question but, do I wait until the interviewer requests the cv? Or do I hand it to him politely? Like: Oh, I've bought a paper copy of my CV *hands it over* ...also I coasting on my certification/degree ...do I wait until he requests to see them?

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

He will already have a copy of it, after all you're at the interview stage already (more often than not it's them looking at the CV that gets you to the interview).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. zet

zet Byte Poster

ah good, because err my sister has used up all the ink on our printer and has not replaced the black ink...THE ONE DAY I NEED THE PRINTER!!!!

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  8. HenryKnight

HenryKnight New Member

Go smart - wear a suit, (man or woman) and don't do trendy (unless it's a clothes shop). Stay classic. Better to be remembered as the guy who showed up in a suit, than the one who wore jeans.

Make a list of questions to ask and also a bunch of observations you've made on the company. Study their website inside out, learn thieir philosophy and the way they like to do business. You basically cannot learn enough before arriving.

Have your certs, documents and a CV with you in a neat folder. Only use if necessary. Likewise a small notebook and pen are useful. Don't be afraid to say 'Do you mind f I take the odd note' on arrival. It looks focussed.

Get there early, have a good look at the outside. Arrive a minute or two before your interview is due to begin.

Good luck with your job hunt.

9. Keith Chiang

Keith Chiang New Member

I am one of the hiring managers in Managed Service Provider (MSP). I went through over a hundred interviews last year. What I am about to share is from my personal perspective. Other hiring managers will most likely have different focuses. Some of them when you see it, you will say to yourself, "Isn't this common sense?" Yes. It boggles my mind why some people will come to an interview so unprepared.

1. Do your homework before the interview. Have a thorough knowledge of the job you are applying for. Review this company's website to understand who you will be working with and does the company do for its business. I have people who came to the interview having very little knowledge of the job they are applying. They have no idea what the responsibilities and schedule are.
    2. Whether the interview is onsite or online, wear at least a dress shirt. I don't care for a tie if the meeting is online. I suggest dressing more formally if you are going on-site with a suit or business attire dress. It shows the hiring manager how serious you are about this interview.
    3. Be yourself. It is normal to feel nervous. You can use it as an icebreaker and calm yourself down. Tell the hiring manager that you are a bit nervous but appreciate the opportunity to meet with him or her.
    4. Always ask questions. Personally, I will not hire anyone who doesn't ask a single question during an interview. We are hiring an engineer. To be a good engineer, you need to be curious about things. If you are not even curious about the team that you might be working with, then you are not the right person for us. Here are some sample questions to ask.
    • What are your team's strong attributes?
    • What are the attributes that you think the team needs to improve?
    • How many team members do you have?
    • Can you tell me about the company benefits?
    • Do you have any training budget?
    5. Don't lie about anything! I have a candidate who told me he checked our company's website but would like me to tell him more. I responded by asking him to tell me what he knew then I will fill the gap. Then he told me that he didn't remember anything.