Interview, Monday, advice please!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by millsie, Mar 4, 2011.

1. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

This is the job spec:

Responsibilities
    IT Support Engineer position will be responsible for installing, maintaining and support computer networks and other computer related work. The goal to ensure smooth operation of our clients networks in order to provide maximum performance and availability for their users. Work part of a close knit IT support team working with a number of clients. Day to day activities may include undertaking routine preventative measures and monitoring installations through to analysing and resolving faults. We also like our staff to be able to suggest and provide IT solutions to business and management problems, be it on a direct basis, or by referring a need to one of our sales team to be followed up.

This opportunity requires the individual to be willing to get involved across all of our business from consumer through to education sector.
    Due to the nature of this business some weekend work will be involved as part of a rota.

Now then, it sounds great and just what i'm looking for as I have said before I want to get away from phone support and here is my opportunity guys!
    As I understand it, they did interview someone who they felt didnt have the practical experience, now heres the issue for me, I have only really done remote support rather than field work which is what I presume this is.

So, I have done my own builds and repairs on my own systems at home, MAC, standard PC and laptop installing operating systems and configuring and have some experience with Cisco gear having had 5 different day schools as part of my OU course last year, connecting and configuring.

Other than the above I don't have any other practical experience. So, how can I use my current remote support role towards a more practical based role while not having any in a role so to speak save helping people to fix their own printers/pcs over the phone?

This sounds like an ideal start for me and to utilize the CCNA i have just got in Feb in installing and maintaining networks etc. They sound like a great company, albeit small, and its only 15 miles from my house!:)

Safe to say I really wanna give it my best shot, your advise ladies and gents:biggrin

Millsie

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  2. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

Well cheers for the advice guys!! :blink

Anyways, I thought I'd update you on this one. Interview went ok, the guy didnt give much away and the agency guy rang me back to ask how it went.

just over a week later, still no decision!! The agency guy, who is really great compared to some, emailed me feedback on Friday saying there should be a decision early this week as he wants to get 'the blend right'!

Apparantly I still feature in their plans, whatever that means?! I just think I didnt get it, I mean surely if they wanted you they would let you know asap wouldnt they? They did want to take on someone for a junior position aswell but why would they wait to get them order to give me the job? I am really gutted as it would have been a great opportunity for my first job in the field.

Should I continue to wait believing it might still happen or concede defeat?

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It is not entirely uncommon to take several days - or weeks - to decide on the right person to hire... or for the first candidate to reject an offer, so they have to move to their second candidate, and so on. That all takes time. So don't be "gutted" until you hear something definitive.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I never saw this thread but what I would have said is think of the situations when you did remote support and think of how you would do them when actually at the site. There's probably not much difference apart from you weren't where the issue was you were sat at a remote terminal.

I would give them a chance to respond probably about a month. Good luck

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Never seen it either, but there are lots of other similar threads regarding interview techniques and advice. I've once waited 3 weeks for a decision (Which was successfull), so don't think just yet that you don't have it

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud