Interview Help

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Special Brew, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Special Brew

Special Brew Nibble Poster

Hi everyone,

I've just got an interview for a doctors surgery as a Data Input / Administrator.
    The interview is Thursday, Though I was looking for some affective advice considering i'm nervous as hell?

I know it's not a top notch job, but i've been struggling to find a job and it's the only interview i've been given :S

Anyways, I don't want to mess this up so please throw me some advice =]

Thanks,

Specialbrew

2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Due to the nature of the job i would have thought data protection and secrecy. Maybe something on how accurate you are at inputting data. Have you had a type test before? Does the job involve any customer interaction? If so dealing with different race, religion, age etc. might pop up.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. Special Brew

Hi there,

I would say i'm very accurate, though i'm not very good with MS word or MS excel unfortunately.
    I could write a letter with word, but excel i wouldn't be that great? - What do i do about this?

Type Test? Urm, I don't think so?

I think i'm just in the office putting data onto the systems, dealing with basic troubleshooting 'printers' etc. Would be annoying that my job wouldn't allow me to fix more problems lol.

I don't believe i'm interacting with any customers?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  4. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

You'll probably be better than the employer in using Excel... as often happens.

But I'd say in your shoes, I would try to lead parts of the interview by asking questions, as many as possible, regarding their environment, the work you'd be expected to perform, etc... show your interest and make it clear to them you can find ways of getting the work done no matter what it might be (well... almost, but you see what I mean).

Take a notepad and pen with you. Have questions prepared in advance (do some bing searches for typical questions to ask at an interview) and also think hard at what you personally would like to know if you were to work there (how many systems to manage, how many printers, can you take care of the licensings of software, would they like you to do cleanup of the server room, etc). I don't know the size of the place, but there could be so many questions to ask right down to "where's the best place to park my car" to "what time would you like me to start every day" and of course "how should I dress" and "what's the best place to go for a snack/lunch".

You see, it's not always about the work, but also logistics. It shows you're ready to jump in as you want to know not just job related functions, but also how to go about 'everything'. And research the company in advance to know their sales figures, number of clients a year, number of employess, number of offices, etc... whatever you can think of.

Keep them speaking and stay involved in the discussion.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  5. Special Brew

Hi,

Thanks for that, just about every question answered.
    I feel a lot more at ease now, I'm going to do my best, and hopefully the best comes from it, no matter what it's experience.

'' Clean up the Server Room '' What do you mean by this may i ask?

Thanks again,

Specialbrew