Interview for Junior IT Support Engineer

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ukspeedster, Oct 25, 2006.

1. ukspeedster

ukspeedster Nibble Poster

Hi all,
    I have an interview with an IT outsourcing company next week for a trainee junior position in IT support. The job role involves auditing IT assets, maintenance and support for IT systems, and configuration of servers in data centres.
    I have some experience in IT support within Windows.
    When I spoke to the HR lady she said it was a training role and had good career prospects (they fund your MS certs).
    I was just wondering if anyone could give me some tips and advice on the interview. What kind of questions would they possibly ask me for a trainee type position as a Junior IT support Engineer.
    Also, how would you answer the "what kind of salary are you looking for?" question! (i know the range, but as its a trainee role im not sure what I should be asking for!)

Certifications: BSc(Hons), ITIL, MCP
    WIP: MCSA 2003, CCNA
  2. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

For the interview just try and be yourself as much as possible. They will probably ask lots of questions to try and work out how efficient you are.

How customer focused are you, how can you cope with pressure, when to delegate, thinking on your feet etc.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  3. ukspeedster

Would it possible to give me a list of possible questions that may be asked if thats not too much trouble?

Thanks

4. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

There's no guarantee exactly which questions they will ask, but just be prepared for questions that will try and determine how productive you are and that you have a good understanding of business awareness.

On the other hand they will always ask you if you have any questions for them which is very important that you do. Here is a list of questiosn you can ask them:

http://outstaffhr.net/sampleinterviewquestions.aspx

Hope this helps.

5. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

be honest and dont try to BS them. take a moment before answering. If you dont know the answer tell them.

try and be yourself is the best advice as offered above

Most employers have already got an idea of the most suitable candidate from the CV vetting stage (from my previous position as a manager) but personality and attitude is often the deciding factor.

Be as smart as a button also, clean shaven etc etc, sounds like common sense but you would be surprised how some people turn up for interviews and then wonder why they didnt get it.

Good Luck :)

WIP: N+ & CCNA
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Always a difficult question that one. I would always say ‘whatever the market rate is based on my skills and experience’ when I was first starting out. Personally I think its difficult to make a wage demand when you are going for your first or second IT job!

Don’t get me wrong though, if you want £35k then just say it*

*I would be surprised if you got the job though! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. turtle

turtle New Member

Normally companies ask you about yourself, education, work experience, why you want to work for them, what are your strengths and weakness, what IT skills you have. Just be yourself and I'm sure you'll be fine.

I recommend reading "Great answers to tough interview questions", it's a great book and makes you realise what the kinda thing the interviewer is looking for. Or do a search on the web for interview questions and answers.

I always keep in mind that the key attributes I have to sell about myself are:-
    1. Analytical, fast learner
    2. Team player, good communication skills
    3. Proactive and enthusiastic
    4. Can deal with difficult situations and handle pressure

Best of luck!!

8. ukspeedster

Good news guys, I got an email from the company I interviewed with and they said the interview went well and they would like to invite me in for a second interview.

The person I was meant to be interviewing with was on leave, so the IT operations manager and senior network manager interviewed me instead.

I guess now I will be interviewed by the person who will be my line manager?

Can anyone give me some advice on second interviews. For example questions that could be asked, what I need to prepare for, any tests, etc?

Thanks

9. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I reckon when it's at this stage - it's down to 'who you are'

Just be yourself - no one can take that away from you.

Stop thinking about money and certs and think - Is this what I want?

10. Pop Alexandra

Pop Alexandra New Member

Very well put, Pete.
    Life's too short for any other question.

11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Random thread bump :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs