Interview for IT Tech

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Jaron78, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Well done! best of luck for the second interview!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

good luck for the 2nd interview.

Thats a really good starting salary usually they are about 15/16k.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Cheers Guys,

I was really surprised to be honest.
    They have asked me to go in this week but unable to due to being out the country.
    Seems like a brilliant place to work and have 4 techs (1st Line) dealing with about 90 calls and emails per day.

Promote from within and excellent starting salary so if it comes off, will be very pleased :biggrin

4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good luck dude! You're getting anctious I bet!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Good Luck Jaron hope all goes well for you! Fingers crossed!

Regards :D

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  6. Jaron78

Not wrong, its driving me mad. Keep making plans as to how I have the Carear path planned :D

Nothing like running before you can walk eh :rolleyes:

7. Jaron78

Cheers Buddy, All I need is for the firm to take me on and Liverpool get new owners and I will be ecstatic :biggrin

8. Jaron78

Little Update:

had the second Interview yesterday and met the other three techs. All really nice guys and seems like a good place to work.

Asked me a few questions like "How do you get an IP address", and "Whats the first thing you would do if someone couldnt access the Internet". They also asked if I had any experience in setting up accounts. I could have lied and said Yeah but was honest and said "No I dont, but I pick things up very quickly and love to learn so it would of interest" (or along those lines).

End of the Interview, the IT manager (a really lovely lady) said she was pleased with my responses and felt I answered the questions very well.

Its in the hands of the gods now....well the Three members of the Tech Support team lol.

Fingers Crossed!! :D

9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good job! Fingers crossed!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  10. Jaron78

F**k It,

Didnt get the job. No explanation, asked me to call the IT Manager to explain why (which I will be doing this afternoon).

Have another Interview on Thursday afternoon for a firm in Hornchurch so REALLY hope its 3rd time lucky.

Very Frustrated though :(

11. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Stay positive! You made it to second interview so you must be doing something right!

Hopefully the IT manager will be able to give you some hints which you can take into your next interview and just knock it out of the park!

I've got an interview later on this afternoon which apparently I was described as 'the ideal candidate' for so no pressure there then....:dry

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  12. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

unlucky mate, we have all been there, so keep plugging away.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  13. Jaron78

Cheers Guys,

Just called em up and they said

"Your attitude was excellent, you were very positive and we liked the way you come across. We would have given you the role if you had a little more experience, but we needed someone who can jump straight in and run with it".

Typical IT Support rehection speil??

Cheers

14. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Jaron,

Sorry to hear the interviews didn't turn out as you hoped but don't let this get you down. I have been in that situation as it took close to five years before getting my brake into IT.

However, I would get the MS cert MCDST out the way as this would give you more advantage at interviews and as well as increase your know how.

Continue job hunting and possibly look for contract roles that requires three months contract or less etc as they are not too heavily worried about experience in desktop roll outs, helpdesk support and service desk roles. I would also build up on my customer support handling and communications skills.

Best wishes and keep on keeping on as your job offer would come when you least expect. Cheerio:)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
    Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  15. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

You can't know for sure, but it sounds like if they are busy, will they have enough time to train you to a level they currently require.

I think you need to take positives out of this one "Your attitude was excellent, you were very positive and we liked the way you come across." as credentials like these could sway a future application in your favor, instead of just looking at "we are looking for someone more experienced".

Good luck for Thursday, and don't get your hopes up for us to get new owners!

Dazzo

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
  16. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Jaron,

Sorry to hear the interviews didn't turn out as you hoped but don't let this get you down. I have been in that situation as it took close to five years before getting my brake into IT.

However, I would get the MS cert MCDST out the way as this would give you more advantage at interviews and as well as increase your know how.

Continue job hunting and possibly look for contract roles that requires three months contract or less etc as they are not too heavily worried about experience in desktop roll outs, helpdesk support and service desk roles. I would also build up on my customer support handling and communications skills.

Best wishes and keep on keeping on as your job offer would come when you least expect. Cheerio:)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
    Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Not really... it's probably true, particularly when there are experienced techs out there who are unemployed.

I would take this as a positive... your CV was good enough to get you the interview, and your interview skills were great. The only thing left to overcome is the lack of experience, and eventually, you'll find a good opportunity where you are the best candidate for the job. Stick with it!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

I take my hat off to you to getting at least an 2nd interview but now for reality I hate to be cruel to be kind but the fact in this difficult economic times anybody applying for advertised jobs you going need experience otherwise forget applying for these jobs. I fear you looking at a few years away until the economic situation and more IT jobs come available as there is too many and quality of IT people applying these jobs at this moment in time.

My advice is do and find some other job while still look for a job in IT.

I sorry but the truth hurts unfortunately.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  19. Jaron78

Many thanks for your comments DFG and they are very valid. However, I have also started working in a freelance capacity alongside my current role so I hope that once I gain the qualifications, those combined with the "freelance" experience may just get someone to take a chance as it were.

Not giving up hope just yet :biggrin

Thanks for all the comments guys, its really appreciated.

20. TommyTee

TommyTee Byte Poster

I think if I had this honest approach I wouldn't have got anywhere to start with, sorry, but I think it's reality sometimes to exagerate the hell out of things when you have the confidence and determination to back it up.