Interoperating Routers

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Sure Shot, May 31, 2007.

1. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

Right, I have 2 routers.

1. Belkin Wireless G F5D7230-4
    2. Netgear DG834G

I want to use these together with one of them as a repeater or access point so that I can get my Xbox live connected wirelessly.

At the moment the belkin is wired into my pc, the xbox is over the other side of the house out of range and I've recently aquired the netgear router.

As far as I can make out, neither of these supports repeater mode.

What I can make out is that the belkin at least can be used as an access point, maybe the netgear can as well, I don't know. I have checked out it's specs but it doesn't mention it. One thing I'm not clear on is wheather or not using something as an access point will do the job, I've heard conflicting arguments.

Ideally, I'd like to use the netgear as the repeater/access point but If I have to swap them around that's no big deal.

Would anybody know if this is possible and how it's done?

Thanks

Certifications: N+
    WIP: MCDST
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Basically, if one of them can act as a WAP (Wireless Access Point) then you should be OK. Since they are different vendors you may have trouble getting them to work nicely together, however.

the best way to think of an Access Point is as an Ethernet socket with an IP address - its basically just an entry point onto your WLAN. So, as I said, provided you can configure one of them just as a dumb access point, with the other device acting as a router, technically you should be fine.

That said, there are plenty of horror stories about getting wireless hardware from different vendors to behave nicely together - Belkin are, I believe, notorious for this. Personally I wouldn't know as, for home networking, things begin and end with Linksys for me but, each to their own and all that!

Googling says that the Belkin model you've specified can be used as a dumb WAP - so that would seem to be your best bet.

HTH

EDIT - just had a look at the manuals page for the Belkin and it seems to indicate that you can only bridge using the same modelof router (with the use of new firmware) - and definitely not with other brands :(

EDIT2 - Here's the link: http://www.belkin.com/support/dl/Wireless%20Bridge.pdf

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Sure Shot

Sure Shot Nibble Poster

Well there we have it... Blast!

Cheers Zeb, that link was interesting and I'm now a lot more tuned in to the differences and workings, I shall keep that document for future refference.

Think I might just buy a stronger router instead for the time being though!

Thanks mate.

Sean

Certifications: N+
    WIP: MCDST