Internet

Discussion in 'Networks' started by amphtech, Jul 8, 2008.

1. amphtech

amphtech Bit Poster

I have just brought a second hand Dell PowerEdge 2600 and have just got it all setup as my domain controller, but i have a few problems. When the server is turned off the domain computers cannot access the internet as Firefox just sits there and says looking up www.google.com then it comes up saying Firefox could not find the server at www.google.com here is a real basic layout of my network [​IMG]
    the modem assigns the ip address but the dns is redirected to the server. But if the computer is not joined to the domain the internet works fine?? Have i misconfigured my server??, Also there is a folder call windows being created in the users home directory (My document redirect to here) inside the folder windows are files called:
    Code:
    inifile.upd, win.ctx, win.ini and a another folder called system which is empty.
    Is there a solution to this problems??
    Thanks,
    Wade

WIP: MCSE, MCSA, MCP
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It isn't clear just how DHCP and DNS is setup here.

If you want the PC to be able to access the Internet when the Domain server is either on or off then DHCP and DNS should not be provided from the server.

To test without involving DNS ping a site by its IP address rather than its domain name.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. amphtech

amphtech Bit Poster

Pinging google came back fine i even typed googles ip in to firefox and it worked but still wont take hostnames :( dns problem??

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Yup - DNS problems. If you want your system to work whether or not the server is on then don't involve it with DNS!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. amphtech

amphtech Bit Poster

found solution, on my the gp that is being applied to the domain pc's the dns server configured in the gp is overiding the dns servers distributed by dhcp :D
    thanks for all your help :D
    Wade