Internet history

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by tripwire45, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

personally I think its arrogant of us to assume (with our miniscule understanding of the universe) that there is such a thing as an immovable or unstoppable object :P

but then again, the worlds flat too right? ;)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

@SimonV In order for the unstoppable froce to "bounce and return" as you suggest, there would have to be an almost infinitely brief moment when it stopped going in one direction, then resumed in the other.

Therefore, not the answer :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. dreec

dreec Nibble Poster

Jak - sorry did not realise that you were looking for answers to your sig. OK here goes.

The irrestable force - An irrestable force would indicate that nothing could resist the energy being carried forward and would therefore be irrestable

The immovable object - An immovable object would indicate that there is no force which could move the object and therefore would be immovable

BEAR WITH ME FOLKS!! - dreec - BSc in stating the bleedin obvious

When the irrestable force met the immovable object there is only one possible outcome which goes back to the basics of physics.
    "Energy cannot be created or destroyed but only changed from one type to another"

The energy created by the irrestable force would therefore be changed from the kinetic energy of movement into another type of energy, inevitably this energy would be heat and light. The energy (heat) disapated through the immovable object would cause the molecules and atoms within this object to vibrate at a greatly increased rate causing the atomic structure of the object to disintergrate, remembering that energy cannot be created or destroyed, as the object disintergrated the energy released would also become primarily heat and light.

So to answer the question briefly "What happens when an irrestable force meets the immovable object" the answer would be a blinding flash of light and a huge release of heat.

Obviously the question is purely theoritical as there is no such thing as an irrestable force nor is there any such object which is strictly speaking immovable.

In fact many of us have to seen the closest we can get to irrestable force meet the immovable object, if only on TV. This is metorite collisions.

Certifications: To many to list here, to few to matter
    WIP: None
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Well put dreec, but not quite so snappy for a sig, though, eh ? :wink:

EDIT: I was never seeking an answer - it is just one of those great imponderables. :hhhmmm

5. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

ok dreec

Why when you phone the wrong number is it never engaged?

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Come on Derek - you're not getting away with that one :roll: If we were to go through and analyse all of your sigs, we'd be here from now till Longhorn is finally released :P

@Dreec - you may not yet have encountered Nelix's "Time to Change the Sig" post - go knock yourself out :lol:

Finally, you know I'm kidding you , Derek :wink:

7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Without going too deep ito the physics of the subject, it is not the wrong number until the person receiving the call has answered. When you then ask for someone who does not belong in that place, it then becomes the "wrong number".

See clear as mud.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

no it was always the wrong number, you dialed it incorrectly
    however you dont know that until the person has answered and told you that you have the wrong number, so when making a call and the line is engaged, it could indeed be, the wrong number, but you will never know
    ;)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Just like when I used to work for the postal service delivering letters. I'd hand a letter to a customer and they'd say..."You've got the wrong address. That person doesn't live here". Actually, the address was right in that it matched the one on the residence, I just had the wrong person.

Certifications: A+ and Network+