Internet explorer problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by pasledgehammer, Aug 15, 2005.

1. pasledgehammer

pasledgehammer Bit Poster

Lo, got a little problem with internet explorer at the moment. Ive tried a couple of things but im kinda new to fault tracing and fixing on the PC.

The problem is that windows explorer wont load when i click it in either the start menu, toolbar or shortcut, the timer shows but the application fails to start and i get no error messages. This happened out of the blue for no reason, it was working fine then just stopped.

Ive tried re installing explorer, removing MSN messenger, and running find and fix problems with norton system works. these have had no effect, and i cant do system restore because i havent saved a date before the fault happened.

The only way i can access explorer is by goin into my documents and such and using my favourites, but even then im experiencing lock ups and links not working.

any help would be much appreciated as im quite an amature at this stuff.

thanks

Certifications: ECDL, A+
    WIP: N+, MCSA
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I had a very similar problem with Windows Explorer. I had to jump through hoops just to get Word to open and navagating the file structure was a nightmare. Unfortunately for you, System Restore is what saved me.

Are you sure there are no restore points. XP makes restore points automatically whenever a piece of software is added to the system. I think it also creates restore points periodically on its own. Here's the basic description from MS:
    And a couple of resources:

http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/libra...y/en-us/dnwxp/html/windowsxpsystemrestore.asp

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_restore.htm

If you haven't actually checked, you might want to see if you do have restore points previous to the IE event. You might have a way out after all. Good luck.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. pasledgehammer

When i go into restore it only gives me the option to save the time and date at which i entered, as a restore point. Unfortunatly i cant look at the links because explorer locks up when i do, i'll try copy and paste into the address bar and read them.

4. pasledgehammer

Well not quite sure how i fixed it but i used Error-checking under tools tab in C: properties, rebooted and it did its scan for about 15mins, and now everything works. :D

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Glad you got it sorted. You might want to do some research on that tool to see what it does and how it works. If you ever encounter this problem in the future, you'll have a leg up on what to do. Good job.

Certifications: A+ and Network+