Internet connections?

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by noelg24, Sep 24, 2006.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Maybe this is a silly question but how does one set up an internet connection with Virtual PC? I have installed Win 98SE and Win Server 2003 on it...and I cant get them on the internet. Or I am guessing this cant be done at all? :rolleyes: Ok call me really stupid, but just wanted to know if it is at all possible. If not then no worries. Tell you what tho the whole Win Server thing is mind boggling, I dont know how some of you guys got your heads round it, but I dont even know where to start, any tips? thanks. :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

OK - this is a silly answer - mostly because I don't know Virtual PC at all. :biggrin

But if it is a *true* virtual system there should be no change from the original OS!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

From here

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

nice one Bluerinse, I will check it out later...thanks :biggrin

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Getting the VPC's to see the internet is really straight forward, or at least it should be.

When you set up the VPC's how did you tell them to configure networking? If memory recalls you have three setings (four if you include no network adapter), Host only, Bridged (or through the host), or direct through the hosts physical NIC. For now I'd suggest that you go for the direct option.

When you say that you can't get them to connect to the internet what screen is displayed if you open up IE? If you have given the server a static IP address then this is where things can get complicated, so simply for now let it have a DHCP assigned one, in much the same way as your physical PC get's its address from your Router / modem.

When working with Server 2003 try to think of it as simply an XP workstation, and configure things as you would on one. At least for now anyway.

6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I hear ya Si...looks like its just a case of mucking about and trial and error...really the best way to learn and besides its in VPC so its not like the machine will die if I make a mistake...thanks :D