Internet connection problem please help!

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Robbb_uk, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Robbb_uk

Robbb_uk Bit Poster

Hi,
    Having a frustrating problem with my adsl broadband connection. I can access sites such as google and this site, but when I try hotmail.com or ebay.co.uk it wont load! anyone have an idea why? ive tried everything in internet options, im certain its something to do with the way the network is set up.
    thanks

Ron

Admin Edit: Moved to Internet Forum

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

sounds like it could be a DNS problem, could be this site and google are cached which is why you can get to them. Try doing nslookup for the sites you've mentioned to start with, see what sort of response you get.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

It might be worth putting the DNS server address' in.
    Go into your network connections, TCP/IP and type them in manually instead of "find DNS settings automatically". I have had cases where this resolves matters.
    It might be worth checking for Spyware as well.
    Hope this helps :morebeer :morebeer

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Robbb_uk

Robbb_uk Bit Poster

how do i find the DNS server address?

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Right-click your internet connection icon, select properties, TCP/IP, and choose properties. You'll see DNS just below the IP address section .

EDIT: You can also right-click the icon in your Systray and choose Status then Properties that way too.
    HTH :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Your ISP will provide you with the prefered and alternative address' for their server :morebeer

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Oops - guess I read that last post wrongly - my bad :oops:

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You can usually access the controls of the adsl modem from a web browser. When you set up the modem, you probably were given instructions as to the default internal IP addy of the modem. Probably something like 192.168.0.1. If you open a browser and type in http://192.168.0.1 (substituting the actual IP addy of your modem of course), the modems main page should appear. Each modem type is a bit different but look for a link like "control" or "status". You should find the network configuration for the modem including the IP addresses of the DNS servers it points to. You can use those addresses to configure your PC with them directly.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Robbb_uk

Robbb_uk Bit Poster

still no luck! manually entering the dns addy didnt help at all...

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Have you spoken to your ISP ? Could possibly be the case that certain IP's in the pool that they allocate from are blocked by some sites. I have certainly seen this happen whilst still working for an ISP in my last job. I'd suggest checking and reporting this to them.

HTH :D

11. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Hi,

Have you tried flushing the resolver cache on your machine? Ipconfig /flushdns on the command line may do the trick!

To see if it is a name resolution issue try pasting:

http://64.4.32.7 (for hotmail) &

http://66.135.192.41 (for ebay.co.uk)...

into or onto your Web Browser's Address bar...

If you can't access them via IP then you've either got a TCP/IP stack issue or your ISP is having problems.

Another thing you could check is to see whether an annoying virus has entered IP and host name entries onto you hosts file! Check out:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc (on XP)

In that etc directory you'll find your Host file. Open it up with notepad and see if any URLs are set to point at your Loopback address (127.0.0.1). Apart from an explanation only the following should be in that file:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Your resolver checks your Host file before the DNS server and after the resolver cache.

I think you've got enough there for the moment! lol!!

Cheers

Sacha

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...