Interesting - Dell Latitude D630

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by onoski, Dec 8, 2007.

1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

At work recently I was given 8 Dell Latitude laptops to image with standard MS applications for district nurses and health visitors to use on the move. The idea is for clinical staff to be able to access their medical portal via internet access but without the use of a PC 3G type card.

These laptops happen to be provided with a Vodafone sim card under the battery compartment with a radio chip type that needed installing inside the laptop. After several minutes of pondering how these chip fit and where underneath the laptop I finally started unscrewing the nuts to open laptop.

The challenge, never opened a laptop before, well have but that was a Toshiba Satelite and were slightly differing in comparison. I finally opened all 8 laptops and fitted the radio chip and to be honest I was impressed. Finally, installed the wireless broadband software that came with the laptop but the software was not up to date.

I then visited Dell's web site and downloaded the up to date wireless broadband software, inserted the Vodafone activated sim card. In the end clicked on the wireless connect icon on the desktop and got a 3.6mbps speed. I also recently installed a USB 3G device via T-Mobile on a laptop for one of our users and find this simply and painless with a connection speed of 3.6mbps.

I actually figured out that taking the keyboard of the laptop was a much efficient way of installing the radio chip inside the laptop. I must admit was a bit scary as laptop cost £500 each and if they were to get damaged in my adventure not sure if the one year warranty would have covered this either:)

Simply put I was impressed, especially when the user just simply have to carry their laptop and click on IE to get to their required portal. Although, all the above was my experience I would not advice you do this unless you're really confident and have the right tools. Talking about tools, just ordered myself a nice set of "STANLEY 22 PIECE RATCHET SCREWDRIVER & BITS SET" from ebay.

My boss have since confirmed any more of these laptops before purchasing would ask if they insert the radio chip before delivering. However, obviously at a cost as they don't come standard on the Dell Latitude D630's.

Well enough of my rambling, so have anyone of you guys and gals played or happened to configure these new toys yet?.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. marculos

marculos New Member

Hi,

I have to say I have lots of trouble with 3G SIMs and Dell 3G Data cards, mainly with D620s though. Basically I was getting lots of trouble getting Vodafone 3G SIMs to be recognised with the Dell Mobile Broadband software. There are a number of different cards used 5505 / 5510 / 5520. 5520s need a firware upgrade in order to work with the Dell Mobile Broadband software. I still have a number of 5505 cards that I cannot get to work.

Weirdly all the problem SIMs seem to work with Vodadone external 3G cards. I have spent days trying to resolve the issues and have spoken to Dell and Vodafone. I think you have to activate the card with Vodafone, when you do they ask for IMIE number, Dell Serial No etc but this only works sometimes ... All very weird and inconsistent. Anyway D630s with firmware upgrade should work fine :)

Certifications: HND / BSc (Hons) Computing, ITIL v3 Fo
    WIP: MCDST
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Marculos, funny enough I did not experience any of the difficulties you stated above. However, as you mentioned it might just be that the firmware in the D630 has been improved to fix anomalities. Thanks, for commenting though:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. ashok1win

ashok1win New Member

pls help me out i m also not able to connect dell vodafone mobile broadband .actually i dont knw radio chip is installed in my lappy

5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Stop necro posting, if you have an issue then start a new thread!!

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA