Intel Xeon E5620 vs. L5520

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HTF, Sep 16, 2010.

1. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Hello,

I would like to upgrade my Dell R610 machine and I'm looking on these two CPUs (Intel Xeon E5620 vs. L5520).

The question is which one is better. I know that L stands for low power consumption buy I'm more interested in the performance as I will be run virtual machines, so could you help me which one will be more suitable.

- maybe other CPU sugstions for Dell R610 with similar price

Thanks in advance for any help

Certifications: A+
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Go for the E5620, it has a larger cache and higher clock speed, it's also a year younger than the l5520.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Thx for reply. I couldn't post earlier because Firefox reported this forum as a malicious website, anyway I would like to also ask about some good HDD for Dell PE R610. I would like to run some VPSs.

1. WD Scorpio Black WD5000BEKT - I have good experience with WD HDDs but it has only 16MB buffer size.

2. Do you think this will work on this machine and is it worth it?
    - Momentus XT Solid State Hybrid Drives

- any suggestions/advice welcome ;)

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

See here. IMO, I would also recommend going for the E5620.

The Solid state HDD will outperform the WD Scorpio based on read/write and cache size.

The HDD's that you've posted are Sata... So with that, have you also considered the WD VelociRaptor 600 GB Internal hard? It's a 10k rpm drive, so that's going to offer better performance than the WD Scorpio HDD. However I don't know how it compares to the Solid State drive.

Last thing that you may want to consider are raid options; hardware vs software raid (hw is better) and what type (none, 1, 2 or 5).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Yes, I've checked this before but the price was similar that's why I was confused but I think it's only because the L5520 is 60W.
    You're right but I'm not sure if this will work with my machine.
    I've seen this but I need six of them (RAID 10) so it's to expensive for me;).

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I take it then that this is for business not personal use?

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Well, I bought this server with my friend and each of us would like to do some stuff on it. I will run some VPSs mostly for training purpose but few for other friends so I would to do properly.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

2008R2 supports Trim.

It's a SATA interface, if your machine supports SATA 2.0 then it will support SSD.

Unfortunately so will buying 6 SSD's. In your case I would probably go with the Caviar Black instead.

If you're going down the ESX route then you may also want to have a look at something like Raxco's vSphere disk defrag utility to use with your SSD.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  11. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Sorry, I forgot to mention that Dell R610 supports 2.5" HDDs and most of these HDDs comes with 16MB buffer size apart from this Momentus XT and Seagate ST9500530NS but this one is not the standard 0.95 cm deep.

I think WD Scorpio Black WD5000BEKT will be a good option.

12. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

No, all servers support 2.5" disks, it's whether they have caddies to support them that counts.

Why not go for SAS disks instead of SATA, it's a faster technology and to be honest you could pick them up from most major hardware vendors (even direct from Dell).

13. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

- to expensive technology for me ;). BTW can I actually use SAS drives if the server was bought with SATA drives, is it just some kind of interface converter?

14. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It's the connector from the PERC card that determines whether you would use SAS or SATA, I have a card that works with either SATA or SAS. More info on the differences between the connectors can be found here

As far as cost is concerned, I would hazard a guess and say that it's not that much different than going down the SSD route.

15. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Sorry for multiply threads in the same post.

I received the Intel E5620 CPUs today :). I installed them but now I'm facing another problem regarding memory.

Accordingly to the CPUs I would like to buy DDR3 PC3-8500 (1066MHz), ECC, Registered memory and I was thinking about 3x4GB per CPU for now. I'm reading the manual http://www.dell.com/downloads/emea/products/pedge/en/installing_upgrading_ddr3_memory_11g.pdf but I'm still not sure.

If I'll install three modules per CPUs will I get the best performance and utilize triple channel mode?

Basically I would like to have 24GB of RAM in total, in 6x4GB stick for future expansion if this is possible configuration.

Do you know where I can buy it for some reasonable price. I found this one but it doesn't say that this is ECC memory:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/4GB-Hynix-ServerMemory-DDR3-PC3-8500-%281066MHz%29-240-Pin-Registered-CAS-7-7-7

16. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I think to reach that amount of ram you would need to be buying RDIMMS for the server, they aren't cheap (I just spent a lot of money for 24gb in rdimms). You're looking at about £1000 for 24gb of RDIMM memory.

17. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

I found some sticks but I'm confused about the price as the faster memory is cheaper:

PC3-1333

PC3-1033

Do you know why is that? Is the PC3-1333 will work on my machine but won't run full speed, am I right?

Another thing is about quad rank modules. In Dell's manual it says:

- so can I install this single 8GB module per CPU for now so I'll have 16GB in total and then will I be able to expand this in future by populate same 8GB quad rank modules in each of the 12 slots (6 per CPU)?

18. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I would be careful, it was my understanding that the R610 only took upto 48gb of ram.

19. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

I think I found what I was looking for:

Crucial 12GB kit (4GBx3), 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-8500 memory module

According to their advisor tool it's compatible with Dell R610 and it's:
    - dual ranked (from what I read it's best option as faster than single and quad ranked cause the memory speed to be down-clocked?)
    - Registered
    - ECC
    - latency CL=7
    - relatively cheap

If I will buy two of this kits (3x4GB modules per CPU) would this work in this config.
    Hopefully this will be fine and it looks as a best option for me.
    Do you agree? ;)

Regards and thx for all help