Intel chip id's

Discussion in 'A+' started by Dexter, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Dexter

Dexter Nibble Poster

Hey thrill seekers :biggrin

I need yet more help, this time with the naming scheme Intel uses for its processors. I've been wondering why they have names like E6600, T7500, QX6850, Uxxxx, Lxxxx and Qxxxx (couldn't be bothered to look for real names for the last ones...sorry).

So far I understand that the Qxxxx is for Quad core, QXxxxx is Quad Extreme but I don't know why the mobile processors have the Txxxx, Uxxxx and Lxxxx naming. I'm guessing that the Lxxxx and Uxxxx are for Low and Ultra Low voltage but the Txxxx has got me stumped as does the Exxxx.

Maybe this isn't necessary for the A+ but I'd like to know just the same. Cheers :blink

Certifications: A+ N+ MCDST
    WIP: LPIC-1 - HTML - MYSQL
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Possibly Transportable?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. mg123

mg123 New Member

Hey Dexter, I'm studying for the A+ too and so far I've found that Intel are very talented when it comes to making CPUs but when it comes to naming them... well as Mike Meyers puts it in his All-In-One CompTIA Exam Guide, they 'leave a lot to be desired'.

The T seems to be just an arbitrary letter they chose for the Core CPU, there's no attempt made to explain it on Intel's Core Duo page.

*half an hour later...*

I got a bit obsessed with the question at hand there but I think I have an answer...ish. I did some digging around and I found some info on the ever useful Wikipedia. That page and the links at the bottom provide great detail but it took me a bit of reading and checking to figure it out:

Intel Core (Jan '06)
    • Txxxx - Any standard mobile Core CPU
    Intel Core 2 (Jul '06)
    • Txxxx - Any standard mobile Core 2 CPU
    • Exxxx - Any standard desktop Core 2 CPU

I think that's right. T=mobile, E=desktop.

If anyone knows what they stand for, if anything, it'd be nice to know. But if the man who wrote the definitive guide to A+ gets confused by these numbers, maybe they don't mean anything.

Certifications: None
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

A knowledge of these names could be useful but I doubt it for the A+, in all the practice exam software I have I have never come across any questions relating to this, so I doubt you need to know this in any great lengths

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Dexter

Dexter Nibble Poster

Thanks for the replies and information. It just seemed to me to be a large and obvious thing that might be handy to know. I think my curiosity is suitably satisfied for now :eek:

Hey greenbrucelee. Yeh I kinda know what you're saying. I think it is probably 2.1 in the essentials objectives that got me looking at this "identify and distinguish between mobile and desktop motherboards and processors including......". I find that Mikes AIO doesn't really say much about mobile processors beside that they'll probably have an M in the name :rolleyes:

Anyway thankies to all

Certifications: A+ N+ MCDST
    WIP: LPIC-1 - HTML - MYSQL