Installing Novell Linux Desktop 9

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by tripwire45, Mar 16, 2005.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Finally got the green light on the book (sort of...but that's another story) so I'm installing the OS including SP1 which was just released. The installation requires you install the first SP1 disk (there are two) to boot the machine, even though it's a clean install.

I'm installing it in VMware so it's even more interesting. Because of the particular video drivers SUSE uses (of course, it's based on SUSE 9.1), you have to do the install in text mode or you get funny split screen problems. That means you navagate through the installation with a combination of your function keys, the tab key and the Enter key.

The installation itself is fast, though...on par with a Windows install. The real trick will be installing VMware Tools which is an additional set of drivers that improve the vm's functionality. SUSE has always had a problem with the VMware tools install.

I am posting this in the Linux forum rather than in the Virtual Computing forum since I want to comment on the NLD9 OS more than VMware per se. I'm going to be playing with NLD9 for about 3 months so I hope to post a few comments about the OS as I work with it.

Didn't detect the ADSL connection because it's behind my switch no doubt. You do have to know a little about Linux to understand some of the installation questions. At one point, it asks if you are going to remotely authenticate using NID or LDAP or locally authenticate using /etc/passwd.

Seems to do a good job at detecting hardware but there are some things it won't do as a VM until VMware Tools are installed...including display at higher resolutions.

I'll let you know how things develop.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Found one interesting detail right off. The promotional material for NLD9 from Novell says that users can access Firefox as the web browser. All good and well if you chose GNOME as your desktop; the shortcut to Firefox appears on your toolbar at the top of the GNOME desktop...but if you selected KDE, Firefox isn't present. Konqueror is the default browser. I can't even find it in the menu of Internet apps. Not sure yet, but I think a NLD9 KDE user would have to download it. In the case of NLD9, that means IT staff would have to do a mass install since NLD9 is designed for the enterprise and end users would not be expected to (or trusted to) download and install software.

3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Can anyone get hold of this promotional stuff trip? id be interested to give it a bash

as far as memory serves me correct, part of bundling KDE requires you to use Konquerer as the default browser, however the app is still likely installed

try run 'firefox'
    it should automatically load

i installed firefox on my gentoo box in gnome, and it never showed up in Fluxbox, but going to the run prompt and typing firefox launched it

also open a terminal (X terminal session not a console one) and type 'firefox &'
    again that should launch it

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Try here:

http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=TAEXt0-x0FY~

You'll need to create a login account to do the download but of course, the account is free (another username and password to keep track of). :tongue

The whole thing is built on SUSE 9.1 but it will be interesting to test all the bells and whistles. For more info, try the following links:

http://www.novell.com/documentation/nld/index.html

http://www.novell.com/documentation/nld/esd/qrpnld9_eval_hidden.html