Installing additional HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brizzoluk, Jul 7, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

the ribon cable should have the dvd drive, the master hard drive then the slave and then into the mobo. Set the jumper on the DVD drive as slave.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Your list of the BIOS settings had primary and secondary controllers with a HDD on the primary master and what I guess to be the CD drive on the secondary master. The jumper settings needs to match where on the IDE cable you connect the drive. On the very end is master, in the middle is slave.

You can only have two things on an IDE channel, one HDD and a CD drive, two HDDs or two CD drives.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. brizzoluk

brizzoluk Kilobyte Poster

ok i have connected the second drive as a slave on the cd-rom cable and now the system has detected it and listed it in device manager :biggrin
    so i guess that means my slave connector is knackered on the hard drive ribbon cable?

Certifications: ECDL, A+
    WIP: Network+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

sounds like it, glad it's sorted :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Sounds like it. You can use it the way its currently connected or get a new IDE cable for your primary controller. Good bit of troubleshooting, nice work. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  6. brizzoluk

brizzoluk Kilobyte Poster

cheers for the help guys much appreciated i was getting a bit frustrated then!

Certifications: ECDL, A+
    WIP: Network+
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Looks that way mate. Good fix :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

In my experience some drives will just not master and slave in any combination. When that is the case the only solution is to stick it on a different channel or just use a different drive completely. Luckily it worked out on the secondary channel for you this time.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada