Initial setup of 'home lab'

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Coupe2T, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Hi all,

I'm looking at learning for the CCNA, my work have provided me with a Catalyst 2950 switch and a 2600 router and basically left me to it. So I have been looking around and have bought a console cable to connect to them etc, but now looking for some basic tips on how to get them set up and talking to one another etc. Just a list of what needs to be configured on each etc to enable them to talk. I have a standard ethernet cable attached between the fastethernet 0/0 port on the router to the fast ethernet 0/1 on the switch.

I just want a list of what aspects need to be configured to get them talking to one another and so that for example I can connect to the router with my laptop, and ping the switch and get information from it etc etc.

Can anyone give me some starter tips on what areas I need to configure on each. I don't need you to tell me how to configure it etc, I will work all that out, just need to know what I need to configure.

I assume I obviously need to give each interface an ip address at the opposite ends of the cable, I assume also that some other various aspects of configuration will be needed on each item.

I'm using Putty to telnet/ssh onto each item if that makes any difference and using everything command line.

Cheers

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I would suggest getting hold of a book like CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Official Exam Certification Guide CCENT Exam 640-822 and CCNA Exam 640-802: Amazon.co.uk: Wendell Odom: Books which will allow you to learn from the beginning, rather than me or anyone else saying what you need to do, without you understanding WHY you are doing certain things.

However, in essence what you need to do is:

connect devices using straight through cable
    give the router an IP address on the interface you connected the cable
    configure the required vty settings to allow you to log on
    give the switch an IP address on a management VLAN (VLAN 1 will do for now)
    configure the required vty settings to allow you to log on

That should set you on your way for some googling until you have the book.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
    Simonvm likes this.
  3. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Sorry,

I probably should have been clearer. I have read through the ICND1 book and have ICND2, it's just been such a long period since I have read through them that i'm now trying to link it back up. Basically I now have some hardware, so I want to start putting things to practical use but just wanted to know which areas to brush up on and look for and go from there.

I did give the interface on the router an IP address, and also assigned an IP address to the interface on the Switch, making sure it was on the same subnet etc. Just wasn't sure what to do next in terms of getting some proven communication between the 2 etc and what else I might need to configure. I've setup the logons to both items as well.

I can use the cdp neighbor on the switch and it retrieves the info from the Router, so I can see there is definitely some communication going on. I have asked for an old Donor PC as well so I can hook that up as a host. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything in the set-up that would prevent my Donor pc from connecting and being able to ping through the switch to the Router etc. Whilst i'm waiting just thought I would ask the question to see if anything came up that I hadn't thought of and that I would need to add/configure. As said, it's been a well spread read of the ICND 1 book due to other work commitments etc, so just trying to consolidate. :)

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

ah no worries.

What have you done so far to prove comms? If at present you are connected the devices on the console port, can you ping each other? You can also connect your PC to a switch port (if the switch had default config before you added the IP then any port should do) and assign the PC an IP in the saem subnet as the switch and router, and try pinging both. Once you have this move onto configuring the vty settings for remotely logging in.

If you have any issues post the config of the router and switch and we can look at that.

Cheers

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP