Information on exams and study time

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by PaulBA, Jan 2, 2009.

1. PaulBA

PaulBA New Member

Hi everyone, Happy New Year to you all.

This is my first post, I am studying for the MCDST exam, I have 14 years work experience in customer service and feel desktop support would be the quickest way into the IT industry for me. I would like to take the first exam at the end of January do you think that 3 weeks is enough time to learn the 70-271 exam in? I work full time I am ok with some of it but I feel the most time will be taken up getting the active directory, local groups and policies part through my head, I have got a transcender and it seems most of the exam questions evolve around the group policies etc..

What are the exams like, do you get paper to write questions down so you can look at it and work it out? are you allowed to take anything into the exam room with you like refreshments etc...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP
    WIP: ?
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you get a dry wipe marker and board (well I did). Exams are mutiple choice.

MS don't publish how many questions and the scoring for any exams as it could allow people to cheat but the general feeling is that 70-80% is the pass mark depending on the exam(s).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Is 3 weeks enough? Only you can say. It depends on how hard/smart you study and how much hands on you have/can get.

This may be useful for you:

E X A M S P E C S
    Exam Number: 70-271
    Active / Retired: Active
    Prerequisites: None
    Exam Format: Combination of Multiple Choice, Hot Area, Active Screen, Drag and Drop, Build list - sort and order, and Build a Tree question scenarios
    Num Questions: Approx. 50
    Time Limit: 90 minutes
    Cost (USD) $: $125
    Passing Score: 700

See here & here's a study guide.

No two exams are the same. And as for if you're allowed to take any refreshments, I haven't come across any that do, you can take a short break in the middle of the exam if you need (I've never needed to and I don't know anyone who has) - but read the notes before the exam and just double check with the testing centre :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. PaulBA

PaulBA New Member

Thanks for your replies, yes time is a bit of an issue. I don't get home from work until about 9pm and never really feel like doing much then but I am determined to really make an effort now and put a couple of hours a night in and more on the weekend. As I said it's just the persmissions and group policies mainly as I have been getting 65% on the transcender and it's those questions I am dropping my points on. Just thought if I can write it out and look at it as a picture or flowchart type of thing it's easier to answer. I have a National diploma in computer studies (1988) and went on to do a HND in 1989 but the partying in Uni got the better of me and I failed the course, really wish I had left the partying until after Uni now :twisted:. Just want to get into the IT industry and get a better paid job and start doing something I enjoy and something which has plenty of scope for advancement.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP
    WIP: ?