Inexperience in PC troubleshooting - How do i learn to be efficient and effective?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by TURBO007, Oct 26, 2012.

1. TURBO007

TURBO007 New Member

Hello All,

Just got an internship in a startup IT company and its sort of a helpdesk role, but strictly remote desktop only. I know its going to be mostly basic Pc problems and troubleshooting, 1st line sort of thing. But what worries me is the efficiency of my troubleshooting and how quick i can be in problem solving all the issues arising. I am confident in the little i know, but there are so many other stuff i wish i could at least know a little off. It would be great for some advice in how to improve oneself in troubleshooting and if there is any process or way for me to learn as much to be comfortable and confident. I know learning makes perfect, but has i have been looking for a 1st line or helpdesk position for a long while, i do not want to come short and basically be told am not good enough, due to my inexperience or ability to solve some common Pc problems quick enough.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
    Certifications: MCP, CompTIA A+, CCNA
    WIP: MCITP EDST7
  2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Its first line support, you aren't going to know everything which is why there is 2nd and 3rd line. Just try and get involved in as much as you can. Ask as many questions as you can. A previous team leader once told me; if you aren't asking me questions then there is something wrong. Learn from your superiors, peers and from your mistakes. Remember that there is always someone that will know more than you so listen to these people. There are many things that you will only learn from working in a corporate environment which is why experience is key.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. TURBO007

TURBO007 New Member

Thanks for that.

Certifications: MCP, CompTIA A+, CCNA
    WIP: MCITP EDST7
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

The best way I learned, is by do diligence. If you have to resolve a problem, give it your effort, read up on the issue and try fixing it yourself before going to level 2/3. By doing this, you will slowly learn things and will improve on your troubleshooting skills. Also, sometimes, its okay to ask for help. I always say that if I can't figure something out on my own, at least I know where to get help and get the issue resolved.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA