Increase your password security

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by JK2447, Jul 15, 2009.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

A dictionary attack IS a brute force attack. Adding substitution variations really *doesn't* increase security. Dictionary attacks take relatively little time... adding in a variation where e's are 3's only makes it take twice as long. Considering the increases in processor ability, this becomes easier and easier to hack over time.

Yes, it's MORE secure... but that doesn't mean it's secure.

Keep in mind that I was a codebreaker 20 years ago... ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

A great philosophy to have, thanks :D

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. BosonMichael

More on long pass phrases vs. complex passwords, from Microsoft (bolding added for emphasis):

Certainly longer is better... but it's just as important to intelligently create those passwords. Use what you will... I simply give the warning that a long passphrase, with or without leetspeak, isn't necessarily the answer.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  4. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

yea sorry I thought I typed progressive

morse code guru :p:p:p

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  5. BosonMichael

Actually, I wanted to learn it, but never did. I worked mostly with the voice intercept guys, not the "ditty-bops" (Morse intercept guys). My job involved frequency pattern cracking and codebreaking/cryptanalysis.

6. Spice_Weasel

Spice_Weasel Kilobyte Poster

And keep in mind strong passwords are almost useless if the password recovery mechanism requires only access to your email account, or knowing your mother's maiden name.

While I agree with BM that passphrases have lower entropy per character, and poor passphrases are weak, it should be noted that the quote above from Microsoft is in some ways not very realistic, as the analysis is based on a passphrase with a basic 300 word dictionary. With a realistic vocabulary passphrases work very well and will be harder to brute force than an 8 character string.

As a little experiment I once had some techs at the office compose random strings for passwords. I then generated some (psuedo)random strings by computer, and mixed them together in a list. When we looked at the list is was obvious which strings were made by people. The point being that people are very poor at creating "random" strings, and brute force attacks will be optimized to take advantage of that.

Passphrases have the benefit of being easier to remember, and avoid the repeat pattern effect. Password amplifiers are also a possible solution, but every password scheme has drawbacks.

Spice_Weasel

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-ER, JNCIS-ER,MCP
    WIP: CCIE
  7. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

How about the old classic p@55w0rd? Nice and secure, no really! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have my system set to maximum security if only it would destroy the people who may attempt to hack into it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Oh mate don't tempt the naughty kids :lol:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

ha ha, I would trace any attempt on me any how then I'd get the old baseball bat out and pay them a visit :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. BosonMichael

Simply trying to illustrate that any word can be dictionaried... even strings of words and/or leetspeaked translations. As long as I've helped people to realize what is and isn't secure, then my mission is complete, regardless of which method is chosen. :)

Personally, I'm a fan of acronymized pass phrases, provided they're at least 8 characters in length.

12. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Don't forget the oft-underestimated hacking method of shoulder-surfing too.

Your 15 character, alpha-numerical symbol-blattered beauty of a password may be fantastically secure if you're typing it in the lonesomeness of your own home, study or whatever.

But if you use that password at work, on a laptop in public, or in any other scenario where sneaky peeps are about, you'd better as damned make sure you can type that password confidently and quickly, otherwise someone will just watch exactly what you type, and then who cares how mixed up the characters are?

I personally (now) rotate around a whole bunch of book characters (not my own, I might add!) interspersing names with symbols and numbers. Hopefully secure, but I do rotate the passwords and numbers / symbols around. Especially at work!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  13. Spice_Weasel

Spice_Weasel Kilobyte Poster

Agreed, too many people think "p455w0rd" must be more secure then "password".

Me too - I find acronymized pass phrases passwords a good compromise, easy to remember, and not as susceptible to attack as a short pass phrase. Full (long) pass phrases I usually use for something like a truecypt volume on a laptop.

Spice Weasel

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-ER, JNCIS-ER,MCP
    WIP: CCIE